First shots with a flash head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First shots with a flash head

This week I picked up a Bowens Esprit 500 and a softbox as well as some other bits n bobs (Flash meter and some portaflash stuff etc) - so I managed to persuade my 17 year old teenage daughter to sit in a chair for me - if you've got kids of this age you know how difficult this might be. So, all in the space of 25 minutes I rigged up the black velvet back drop in the living room. Attached the lamp to the stand, assembled the softbox, set the power, fired off around 25 shots and packed everything away again.
    This was my first ever indoor attempt and here are three from the set - next time I think I'll try with some fill light/reflector for the darker side. Any other comments etc appreciated. Cheers.

HM5U0705.jpg by oldestswinger, on Flickr

HM5U0719.jpg by oldestswinger, on Flickr

HM5U0711.jpg by oldestswinger, on Flickr
    All the gear ...no idea!

4th Worldwide Photo Walk, Worcester

Re: First shots with a flash head

Nice shots. Placement of light looks good and you have avoided any glare in the glasses.

I'd say the main light looks a tad bright as the cheecks look a little bright but should easily be recoverable.

Nice job with one light.
    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Do like the first shot, theres just something about it.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks both - I see what you mean Jim and I agree that a bit more time spent on PP and they'd be great - these were with minimal processing in Lightroom. The flash meter suggested f/5.6 was where I should be so maybe next time see if the same thing happens and if so either bin the meter or learn to dial in some exposure compensation for it.
        All the gear ...no idea!

Comment

How did you use the light meter? White bulb out and pointed at the main light?

Your camera may meter differently from the meter so worth practicing to confirm. Use of a grey card will help get the right compensation if required
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Cheers Jim - white bulb out and pointing back towards the direction of the camera
            All the gear ...no idea!

Comment

That could be the issue.... I point the meter at the light source. As you turn the meter away from the light source the exposure will start to fall. THere are some that say point to camera and others that say point at light source. I tend to point towards the main light.

Comment

Really good first attempt, I like number 3 just a touch too bright on the rhs as has been mentioned

THere are some that say point to camera and others that say point at light source
                I’d point to towards the camera mostly, just towards lights to measure the strength of multiple lights.

I should be so maybe next time see if the same thing happens and if so either bin the meter
                The meter is never wrong, I have gotten unexpected exposures by not metering from the right position on the subject, or settings, with me it was usually not having the same ISO in the meter as on the camera. On my meter the ISO is not displayed unless I press a button. I found false readings are possible when the battery is low.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                X