White balance help - Wedding photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White balance help - Wedding photo

I was given the unfortunate gig of official tog for my sister-in-laws wedding. I told her im not a pro tog never mind a wedding tog but she insisted as she was trying to save cash. I'm very happy with the majority of my shots but with some of the group shots im struggling with the white balance. Below is about the best I can get it, can anybody help me get it any better and if so tell me what I need to do please?

Any help greatly appreciated as always, I've tweaked it as much as I can. I shot everything in RAW but here is the JPEG. Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: White balance help - Wedding photo

If you shot it as RAW you can easily play around with the white balance. Just use the white balance eye dropper tool. This is what I did with your jpg file.

IMG_2443a.jpg
    --
    Colin
    http://fotos-espana.com
    http://macameraclub.com
    http://turnspain.com

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      If you shot it as RAW you can easily play around with the white balance. Just use the white balance eye dropper tool. This is what I did with your jpg file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4638[/ATTACH]
      Hi Colin, thanks! Do you recommend opening the jpeg up in photoshop and using the eye dropper or opening the raw in ps and using the eye dropper? Also how many eye dropper sampler points did you use there? And at what points! Sorry for lots of questions, thanks
      Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

The raw file - best not to convert to a compressed format like jpeg unitil any adjustments have been made.
        One of the main benefits of raw is the abilty to alter the WB retrospectively.

Trev

Comment

You could target the grey in the steps or the white in the B&W dress

Comment

Hey Trev! Yes I've tried that still having much look getting rid of the blue tones! Glad I don't do this for a living it's hard work! Lol
            Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4638[/ATTACH]
              Quite honestly I think this looks worst than his. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by bexman View Post
                I was given the unfortunate gig of official tog for my sister-in-laws wedding. I told her im not a pro tog never mind a wedding tog but she insisted as she was trying to save cash. I'm very happy with the majority of my shots but with some of the group shots im struggling with the white balance. Below is about the best I can get it, can anybody help me get it any better and if so tell me what I need to do please?

Any help greatly appreciated as always, I've tweaked it as much as I can. I shot everything in RAW but here is the JPEG. Thanks in advance
                you would be better off using a curves adjustment though don't move the sliders but first click on the white eye dropper then on the girls white dress that is on the left of the bride, next then click on the black eyedropper and click on the girls black tights by the side of the girl in the white dress, next click on the grey eye dropper and click on the girl dress to the right of the bride then if you want to tweak any more then carefully move the sliders between the mid way point just a little, This technique is awesome on close up portraits only what you do with the grey eye dropper would be to click on the models white of the eye and not look for a grey point to click on.
                Hope this helps.
                BTW always start your editing by making a duplicate Layer. and I should have said that normally the grey eye dropper helps to controls the colour temperature.
                Last edited by Donphotography; 26-09-2011, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Donphotography View Post
                  you would be better off using a curves adjustment though don't move the sliders but first click on the white eye dropper then on the girls white dress that is on the left of the bride, next then click on the black eyedropper and click on the girls black tights by the side of the girl in the white dress, next click on the grey eye dropper and click on the girl dress to the right of the bride then if you want to tweak any more then carefully move the sliders between the mid way point just a little, This technique is awesome on close up portraits only what you do with the grey eye dropper would be to click on the models white of the eye and not look for a grey point to click on.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Thanks Don, will give that a go and report back
                  Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Try adjusting the colour temperature numerically too.

Wre you talking about exposure probs or WB probs ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                      Try adjusting the colour temperature numerically too.

Wre you talking about exposure probs or WB probs ?

Trev
                      The problem I've got is White Balance. I took a number of the group shots on a staircase. What appears to have happened is that on some of the shots the sun must have shone through the window and I'm getting this awful yellow like tint!

I'm now wondering whether its possible to use the temperature settings from a good shot and just replicate this on the bad shot...

Here is the shot I'm not happy with...

IMG_2443b by Bexman, on Flickr

And this is how I think it should look (Although I could be wrong on both counts!)

IMG_2451a by Bexman, on Flickr
                      Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

I'm now wondering whether its possible to use the temperature settings from a good shot and just replicate this on the bad shot...
                        Hi Bexman

1 In DPP you can set the WB with the eye dropper, then click on the register button and assign a number 1,2, or 3.
                        Then on subsequent images you only need to click the number.

2 You can work on one image in DPP, when you are happy with it.
                        right click on it –& select “copy recipe to clipboard” – then select all the images taken in the same light.
                        Right click &select “paste recipe to selected image(s)”

Do you need to know how to do this in photoshop ?
                        Trev

Comment

Hi Bexman

1 In DPP you can set the WB with the eye dropper, then click on the register button and assign a number 1,2, or 3.
                          Then on subsequent images you only need to click the number.

2 You can work on one image in DPP, when you are happy with it.
                          right click on it –& select “copy recipe to clipboard” – then select all the images taken in the same light.
                          Right click &select “paste recipe to selected image(s)”

Do you need to know how to do this in photoshop ?
                          Trev
                          Hi Trev

That sounds exactly like what I was hoping I could do! Will the difference in sunlight at times make any difference to the white balance if I use this method?

I may need assistance (instructions) in photoshop please Trev! thanks
                          Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Will the difference in sunlight at times make any difference to the white balance if I use this method?
                            It should work for the same light temp - best on groups of shots in exactly the same conditions, if it works at all. :-)

In photoshop process your fiist raw image in ACR.
                            There is a little arrow top right of the slider panel, click & select "Save settings" - give your settings a meainingful name then on subsequent images use "load settings" - There is probably is a more elegant way - I don't use ACR that much.

Trev
                            Last edited by Trevoreast; 03-10-2011, 15:42.

Comment

It should work for the same light temp - best on groups of shots in exactly the same conditions, if it works at all. :-)

In photoshop process your fiist raw image in ACR.
                              There is a little arrow top right of the slider panel, click & select "Save settings" - give your settings a meainingful name then on subsequent images use "load settings" - There is probably is a more elegant way - I don't use ACR that much.

Trev
                              Great stuff will try it later! Thanks
                              Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X