Fashion catwalk shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fashion catwalk shoot

This weekend i may have to shoot a fashion show.

Does anybody have any experience of doing this type of event and any tips to get the right kind of images,I'll be also using flash (430EXII)which is a big nightmare, and looking at some flash posts I'm not the only one with a flash phobia.
    Any tip will be gratefully excepted.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: Fashion catwalk shoot

Stand outside the place where the fashion shoot is to take place..... take a deep deep breath..... turn 180 degrees...... run like hell.....

Sorry a bit flippant but I am sure someone will come along with sensible tips...

David
    David

Comment

Set the camera to manual, shutter speed around 1/125sec, aperture f8 and let the flash set the exposure. You can vary the exposure by setting flash exposure compensation plus or minus. Shoot RAW in case you need to adjust exposure or colour balance afterwards. Check exposure via the histogram as you go.

If the stage lights are bright enough you may not need to use flash at all - just up the ISO to give a reasonable shutter speed. If you want a bit of fill light, set the flash to 1/32 or 1/64 power (custom settings). If you lower the shutter speed slightly you may be able to get some nice movement.

If all that seems a bit much set the camera to P setting and the flash to ETTL and enjoy the show!

Comment

I like David's idea- run like hell!!! Anyway on the "bold" side , BE POSITIVE and be confident of your skills. I am sure that Petros's advice will come in very handy for you.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Only advice I can give you (other than run like hell) is shoot RAW, at least that way you have at least some chance of rescuing any 'iffy' shots.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

To the two Davids,Thanks for your professional advice,Well 'I'm sure there's some advice in there some were. I'll remember to wear my trainers on the night.

Nathanial,
            BE POSITIVE and be confident of your skills
            Trust me i have no confidence in my event shooting,But if i don't try I'll never learn.

PAUL
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
              Set the camera to manual, shutter speed around 1/125sec, aperture f8 and let the flash set the exposure. You can vary the exposure by setting flash exposure compensation plus or minus. Shoot RAW in case you need to adjust exposure or colour balance afterwards. Check exposure via the histogram as you go.

If the stage lights are bright enough you may not need to use flash at all - just up the ISO to give a reasonable shutter speed. If you want a bit of fill light, set the flash to 1/32 or 1/64 power (custom settings). If you lower the shutter speed slightly you may be able to get some nice movement.

If all that seems a bit much set the camera to P setting and the flash to ETTL and enjoy the show!
              Many thanks Petros,

I'll write this down and take the suggestions with me,(as i won't get the flash gun till the event)I'll do a few test shots before the event starts, and as you say if all goes wrong set camera to P and flash to ETTL and fingers crossed.

Paul

Comment

I'd love to help but not knowing the lighting conditions and other variables it hard to say.

What do you know about where you will be shooting, if you are restricted to a wide lens for full length shots, is the 24-105F4 your sole option ?

What I do most times when going to a venue /event "blind" is to Google up pics from the venue/event from previous years...if it's not the first one.
                I would get there early, if possible and see if I can gain any advantage.

Trev

Comment

Thanks Trev,

The 24-105 is my only option as you say, But at least the suits the flash zoom range ?I've been told that the ceiling is low so not sure if this will have a big impact on bouncing the flash of the ceiling or is it best to aim straight at the models.

Paul

Comment

If there is enough light for iso1600/3200 F4 1/400 i would not use flash, most catwalk shooters don't use flash

Comment

"Fashion catwalk shoot", TBH that can be anything from supermodels in Milan to charity events with some of the less shy ladies volunteering as models in a village hall. I've only got experince of the later I'm afraid.
                      I can be hard to get what I'd call a 'rock n rock' type shot with poor lighting and surroundings.

Watch out for the low ceilings if they're not picturesque, you can get them in the frame as an unpleasant BG for the models faces - that's if you have to shoot upwards.
                      For full length shots I like the camera parallel to the model, waste-height with to AF point close as poss to their eye.

You could use the flash direct and use the FEC if required. OR up the ISO as Gsgary says. The flash can kill pleasant ambient lighting, if you're not used to overcoming that problem.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                        This weekend i may have to shoot a fashion show.
                        Well how did it go Paul? Are you pleased with your results?

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                          Well how did it go Paul? Are you pleased with your results?
                          LOL Stephen I'm guessing that's your way of saying it's too late to offer any advice ?

Sorry Paul, hope all went well.

Trev

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice.
                            Ive posted the images so let my know what you think.
                            Just remember it was my first time.

Includes images taken before the general, studio and nude categories were added on 24 February 2013

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X