Portrait Lighting Try-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portrait Lighting Try-out

I got a Lastolite Speedlite softbox for Christmas, and with a house full of kids there were plenty of volunteers to practice on!

All were shot with the flash on a tripod to the left and slightly above.

Canon 30 D Canon 50mm 1.8 or Canon 70 - 300 IS USM lenses.

C+ C Welcome.

Peter.

Re: Portrait Lighting Try-out

#3 is a winner. Really love that one. the lighting is really great and no nasty shadows on the faces. even some nice catchlights in the eyes too. I think #2 portrait is a tad bit too light on the face. a little more contrast would have made a difference.I think the DOF in #4 is a little too shallow as the sharpness is around her knees/jeans. what aperture was used in the last one?
    regards
    Donald

Comment

Isn't that just soooo much better than flash on camera?

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Donald, appreciate your comments. No 2 was a matter of choice as it works well with less or more contrast - I opted for a lower contrast apart from the eyes for emphasis.

Peter

ps, the aperture setting for the last one was f2.5 if I remember - I was trying to blur out the background. I think the focus may be slightly in front of her face - problems trying to get her to sit still for more than a second!
        Last edited by Petros; 10-01-2012, 13:49.

Comment

Thanks Colin - for such a "simple" piece of kit it makes a huge difference, I just need to experiment with heights and angles. First step to some studio flash gear?

Peter

Comment

Lastolite Speedlite softbox
            Nice shots Peter, may I ask what model is your lastolite softbox.

Trev

Comment

Thanks Trevor, it's the Speedlite Ezybox (http://www.lastolite.com/ezybox-speedlite-softbox.php)

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Pete, I am after one of those flashgun mounted softboxes.
                I can never make up my mind which one to get.

Do you think you need a bracket that maintains the softbox position when the camera was orientated portrait wise. ?
                Trev

Comment

Not so far, there are two velcro straps, the first one is slightly elasticated so it can be pulled reasonably tight, the second goes over it and is a bit more rigid and does a good job of holding everything in place. It is also very light weight so doesn't tend to put strain on the flash gun.

Peter.

Comment

Cheers for the info Peter
                    Trev

Comment

Working...
                    X