Christmas eats......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas eats......

I finally managed to do some cooking for Christmas and made a Dundee cake a couple of days before 25th and the Christmas puddings a whole 2 weeks before the day!
    Food photography is not a subject I have tried before, these two really are more quick shots; the Dundee cake looks the better image of the two.
    The Christmas pudding I think was a mistake as it was taken on a light background and I also think the DoF is wrong. I feel I should have placed it on a plate, looked at the lighting and checked the camera.

All help, advice and comments much appreciated.

Rose.

6O4A5677_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A5681_1 by Rose, on Flickr

Can’t comment on intricacies of food photography as I know nothing about it but your cake and pudding look great.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

The cake and pud look great….I guess it takes some setting up like a still life scene. Maybe a slice removed with knife in the composition…the wooden table to makes a good background. Maybe next year?
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

There's a good article in October - December 2022 issue of EOS magazine about 'Flat lays' Rose this is how making items such as food or products look appealing to people (normally used for advertising etc) but i found it an interesting read and helped me out a little bit with some product stuff I've tried in the past.

I agree with Brian though, the cake and the pud look great. I would have taken a slice out and left the knife next to it also. Maybe scattered some crumbs around it and (I know it might have been wasteful) but drizzled some cream over one half. Possibly on a chopping board and got low at worktop level with it.

Hope you enjoyed the cake and taking pictures of them both

Comment

I think if you had not got the rack between the cake and the wood the cake would have just blended in with wood to much. Enjoyed both shots the texture of the cloth on the pud adds to the shot. The thing that gets me is that you have time to make such great food, when you should be out taking some more of your enjoyable shots.

Comment

When I photograph anything I cook/bake and in the main it’s cakes. I just dump them on a lean back armchair with a back cloth thrown over the chair. - never had any problems good enough for me.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
            X