Sun spots and flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun spots and flares

After this mornings little project I popped around to my friends to look at his astro observatory. He was busy looking at the sun and allowed me to fix my camera to his 2 scopes. Naturally there are lots of filters and adaptors involved, but I found it really fascinating. The clouds cleared and we got some wonderful shots of sun spots and solar flares. In relation to size, apparently the earth would be about 3mm in diameter if next to the flare. It gives you some idea of the size of these things.

#1 SOLAR FLARE

Solar flares by mathews38, on Flickr

#2 SUN SPOTS

Sun spots by mathews38, on Flickr

Re: Sun spots and flares

Fascinating and great shots I am envious, we had a talk at our camera club by some astro photographers earlier in the year and as you say it was very interesting

Comment

Gosh, amazing , I bet it was a real treat for you.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks Ian & Les..it was all very interesting, but I havent a clue what my friend was doing with all these bits of equipment/filters/lens etc...i just pushed the shutter button, and hey presto. I even shot a video but no idea how to download it so Im feeling a bit out my comfort zone! Oh well - onwards and UPWARDS hey.

Regards-Robin

Comment

Rob, I'm impressed. I know all the equipment isn't yours, but I guess you're pretty chuffed with those.

Very unusual shots, but I like them.

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I am very jealous Rob, I would love to be able to do that.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

These images are superb, I wish I had taken them and had a friend like yours.
              Well done.

Comment

Splendid stuff ... so stars and planets next ;-)

Comment

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X