Sand Mandala created by Tibetan Monks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand Mandala created by Tibetan Monks

Last year during the 10 Music Event here in Bethlehem called Musikfest there was a flood that wiped out 3 music venues and numerous vendors. To prevent this from happening this year, they brought in Tibetan Monks who spend over 30 hours creating this sand mandala, only to scrap it up during a ceremony & depositing the sand into the creek that flooded last year.

Camera 5DMKII w/EF40mm f/2.8 STM @ 1/40 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 1600

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Sand Mandala created by Tibetan Monks

Beautiful. I would want to keep that forever. Did it stop the floods?

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Great colours intricate design and made out of sand; that's some clever Monks that you had there Tom.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Spectacular work of art by some very gifted artists / Monks. I hope it kept the floods away.

Comment

Now THAT I can see as art - not some 'cow in formaldehyde' or an 'unmade bed'

very talented guys

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I so much agree with you David.

Art is inspirational and done by people far more talented than me - not a brick wall, or a prserved shark ............. I can do that!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              Beautiful. I would want to keep that forever. Did it stop the floods?

Colin
              Thanks Colin, so far we have only had 1 rain event and that happened Sunday evening. Good so far for the festival, but not so good for the area as we have been in drought condition through most of the summer.

Tom

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
              Great colours intricate design and made out of sand; that's some clever Monks that you had there Tom.
              Thanks ST-EOS for commenting.

Tom

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
              Spectacular work of art by some very gifted artists / Monks. I hope it kept the floods away.
              Thanks Muscat for commenting. So far, no floods, but there is rain predicated for this Thursday, Friday & Saturday.

Tom

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post

very talented guys

.DAVID.
              Thanks for Commenting David.

Tom

Comment

Beautiful Tom.
                Is there a significance to the four points (temples) on this sand mandala?
                Such a shame the sand was depositing into the stream during the ceremony, this is real art by real artists.
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                  Beautiful Tom.
                  Is there a significance to the four points (temples) on this sand mandala?
                  Such a shame the sand was depositing into the stream during the ceremony, this is real art by real artists.
                  Thanks Stephen for commenting. I not that familiar with the Buddhist faith to be able to answer your question. Hopefully someone else on the Forum can answer that question.

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                  Funny that is what is being said over here as well. But as we were told, the Western Mind see things of beauty and like to preserve it forever, but the Buddhist tradition is not to preserve but to share. The value is not what was created, but what you do with that creation that is important.

Tom

Comment

Beautiful colours and detail.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks DeeGee

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X