Help: Photographing a Domestic Christmas Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Photographing a Domestic Christmas Tree

Now bear in mind I'm a life long member of the Bah Humbug club.

SWMBO however isn't. She's put a tree up in the living room with ('Xenon Blue') LED lights (they are the bright point source lights) and more decorations than Oxford Street. [Tree is black. Decorations are Silver(ish)].

I've tried a number of exposures ... I've tried bouncing flash ... using a tripod and remote. But nothing is good ... the lights a well blown in the image. The images thus far ... make their own way to trash!!

She is most insistent I take a decent photo ... so Help ... anyone got any tips that can save my life ... please ... and ... double please.

Thanks

PS - I'll be using the 7D, 580EX and probably the 17-40L

Re: Help: Photographing a Domestic Christmas Tree

Try setting the tree lights on static not flashing camera on tripod and bracket your exposure (without flash) and then combine rather like an HDR shot. Should get you where you need to be.
    --
    Colin
    http://fotos-espana.com
    http://macameraclub.com
    http://turnspain.com

Comment

Go down the pub!

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
        Go down the pub!
        Great suggestion, I'll see you all down there
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Try setting the tree lights on static not flashing camera on tripod and bracket your exposure (without flash) and then combine rather like an HDR shot. Should get you where you need to be.
          I'd second those suggestions. You may need quite a wide bracketing... so expose for the lights, then the tree, then the decs etc... take a whole load, and let the HDR software have a play.

Good luck! Mike.

P.S. I rather liked the suggestion of going down the pub too!
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Okay - the lights are fixed on (Mode 1 ... it has many modes including areas that flash independently). My first attempt which was a +/- 2 EV AEB series, yields a no good ones. Since feedback here I tried the HDR feature in DPP but the result is its fair to say is naff.

I feel that this approach needs supplementing ... the shortest exposure (I had aperture fixed at f/8 and ISO-200) lights on. The other two takes ... lights off. Some playing me thinks. These LED lights are quite bright!

So a glass of Ginger Beer may be called for ;-) I knew it was going to be involved !!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              Okay - the lights are fixed on (Mode 1 ... it has many modes including areas that flash independently). My first attempt which was a +/- 2 EV AEB series, yields a no good ones. Since feedback here I tried the HDR feature in DPP but the result is its fair to say is naff.

I feel that this approach needs supplementing ... the shortest exposure (I had aperture fixed at f/8 and ISO-200) lights on. The other two takes ... lights off. Some playing me thinks. These LED lights are quite bright!

So a glass of Ginger Beer may be called for ;-) I knew it was going to be involved !!
              MX - you need to get out more....Ah....I see you do..'appy Grimble. Sorry I cant help you with the latest conundrum. Look forward to a NYSD post!!

Comment

try it with the room lights on too.

better still tell SWMBO that your camera has suddenly stopped working, all that rain etc.. and put your feet up.
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                  try it with the room lights on too.

better still tell SWMBO that your camera has suddenly stopped working, all that rain etc.. and put your feet up.

Comment

Just a thought, why not get the lights "right", with no flash, which will make the tree dark and when you have this "correct" then with the flash turned "way down low" and the same settings you used to get the lights right start taking more shots slowly increasing the power of the flash until the tree and the decorations are just right....

I think going down the pub is the best idea and have a bet with your mates as to who can take the best photo of the tree with a "free pint" to the one who can take the best photo.... just see it now 10 boozed men all trying to photograph SWMBO's prize Crimbo Tree... muddy boots on the best carpet... much raised voice from SWMBO and you banished back to the pub with sweet dulcet tones ringing in your ears...
                    Last edited by djguk47; 22-12-2012, 18:00.
                    David

Comment

I would have a "dizzy" spell!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X