Splash Art by Stan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splash Art by Stan

This was the thread i tried to post yesterday but became a victim of the dreaded 503

I had not expected it so soon but my kit arrived in yesterday afternoons post so just had to have a little play and following Colins and Ians experiences it really does what it says on the tin. It took about an hour to set up camera, background flashes etc and read the instructions ( always getting told off by Dee for not reading instructions), so just played with the kit for about half an hour. Here are some results, obviously not perfect by any means but a step in the right direction. All shot with 7D, Canon 100 f2.8L IS at f 11, 1/200, ISO 400 and 2 off camera flashes to left and right. The last 3 shots had a red gel ( read "quality Street wrapper" ) on the left flash - I did try with both gelled but the effect was too extreme

WDYT

Stan

9898 - splash by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

9901 - splash by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

9902 - splash by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

9903 - splash by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Splash Art by Stan

Wow! Stan those a brilliant, I never knew you could get those types of effects with covering the flash. Another great simple tip for us.

Chris
    EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Blimey, they're good!

I think #1 is my favourite, as the cleanliness of the pure uncoloured water does it for me... the coloured ones, whilst spectacular, look a bit unnatural for me. Although, saying that, #4 is my favourite coloured shot, as the shape of the umbrella is brilliant!

We are certainly being treated to some excellent and intriguing shots by the Holy Trinity of Ian, Colin and Stan!

I know I would struggle to get shots like these, so I think I'll put off getting the Splash Art kit for a while!

Very well done Stan, and quite a departure from the usual wildlife!

All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks Chris and Mike

the coloured ones, whilst spectacular, look a bit unnatural for me
        well i think thats the whole idea Mike - its "art"

I know I would struggle to get shots like these, so I think I'll put off getting the Splash Art kit for a while!
        dont be put off Mike, using a kit like this makes it easy to get some basic acceptable images a lot quicker than the plastic bag with a hole in it technique. I didnt expect to get anything any where near useable straight off so I was very pleasantly surprised

Stan

flickr

Comment

Well done Stan.

Good results very quickly and you have also managed the difficult full umbrella. How are you managing without the stand?
          Colin

Comment

Really good Stan, I look forward to seeing some more.

Am really impressed by how, Colin, Ian and now yourself have, not only tried something different, but shared with everyone your methods and equipment etc.

This kit will have to be added to my "Wish List", it keeps getting Longer and Longer.

PS. Don't Quality Streets have a chocolate in a very nice Purple coloured wrapper too?

Regards Paul

Comment

How are you managing without the stand?
              I had a piece of 6 x 2 in the garage so cut a slot of the unit to rest in then placed the wood across the back of two chairs - it worked quite well but Dee said it took up too much room..........so ordered a proper stand today

PS. Don't Quality Streets have a chocolate in a very nice Purple coloured wrapper too?
              they do, there is uellow and pink as well I think

thanks for looking

Stan

flickr

Comment

Great set Stan, you have more bottle than me with putting a piece of 6x2 over 2 chairs

Comment

....so ordered a proper stand today
                  I thought you may end up resorting to a stand. It is by far the easiest and most versatile solution, especially when you need to vary the height of the drop. Did you order from Joe, or have you found a cheap source?
                  Colin

Comment

Stan, for out of the box shots never tried before, these are just amazing. I think you and Colin need to start a new category "Splash Art"!
                    I particularly like the silver effect of the first and assume yu are using water as a medium rather than milk?
                    Where will it end - olive oil, canola, engine oil, coconut milk, petrol....mmm, that one should be good, with rainbow colours. Mrs C would never allow it, so get in there first!
                    Andy

Comment

Thanks for looking Andy

Did you order from Joe, or have you found a cheap source?
                      got it from amazon, including p & p, slightly less than Joe and I had some amazon vouchers from Christmas

Great set Stan, you have more bottle than me with putting a piece of 6x2 over 2 chairs
                      thanks Ian....and no plastic on the floor either, although i will have to think about that when i start on the food colouring, might chance it with the milk this afternoon though

Stan

flickr

Comment

Enjoying these. More please.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

It only is getting better, bring it on..... tempting to try these when i have some more time in hand
                          Raj
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Great results Stan. Interesting angle, slightly higher than the viewpoint Colin uses.
                            Competition is hotting up!

Andrew
                            Andrew

Comment

Thanks Di Raj and Andrew

Interesting angle, slightly higher than the viewpoint Colin uses.
                              its quite a learning curve and I havent quite worked out hte lower angle as yet - mind you i have only had the kit for less than a week.

Enjoying these. More please.
                              I did another session today so may post up tomorrow and I'm sure Colin and Ian have a few more up their sleeves as well

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X