Flying Saucer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Saucer

It's been ages and ages since anyone posted a Water Drop shot, so I thought I would have a go.

I have been wanting to achieve the Flying Saucer, the Umbrella and the Hat and I have achieved two of those today, working in the warm.

Usual settings of:

1/250sec, f22, ISO400. Lit by flash.

Colin

Re: Flying Saucer

Well impressed Colin

Looks like a crying eye.

Think I might have to invest in one of those kits.
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Think I might have to invest in one of those kits.
      It is good fun and rather addictive Chris.

This was meant to be my project for 2013, to get good quality water drop shots by the end of the year. I think I have managed that in just a couple of weeks, so I may have to stretch that goal a little.
      Colin

Comment

another brilliant shot Colin.
        Raj
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Thanks for that image ... takes me back to my post grad days (now that was a long time ago) when I used a High Speed 16mm Cine Camera (a Bolex I think?) to do this (albeit in B&W) in the interest of science.

Comment

Love the lighting in this one Colin. The shots are getting better and better!
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Magic Colin, keep them coming
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That is not fair you keep raising the bar , I do like that a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  That is not fair you keep raising the bar , I do like that a lot
                  Thanks for that.

I was rather pleased with it, although I have removed minor splashes and phased out an out of focus horizon line. I am going through the Umbrella shots and will probably post one later.
                  Colin

Comment

Another great image Colin. Particularly like the background & lighting on this one. Wonder what the standard will be by the end of the year!! A whole new category for Graydon to worry about I am begining to think

Andrew
                    Andrew

Comment

Another good one and much impressed. Surely not photography but "magic"!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Brilliant Colin,
                        EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Does the warmth of the room make a difference to the drops?
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

I think the warth and air flowing in the room can make a difference to the drop flow - this afternoon I took a shot which came out well but for some bubbles in the water, so I cleared them and took the shot again without touching the settings and all i got was an unusable blob in the water

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

I agree with Stan Di.

Temperature and airflow will have an effect. Also the level in the drop tank is continually dropping, so that will have a slight effect over time and by it's very nature water is dynamic and no two drops will be exactly the same. The machine also needs a few actuations to stabilise, so with all the above, it is quite rare for any successive shots be the same.

The worse problem by far is the operator. Always wanting something better than the previous shot, the operator constantly fiddles with the controls. It's a man thing ........... girls have far more patience.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X