Flying umbrellas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying umbrellas

I had a little while to play with the SplasArt kit earlier today before the grandchildren arrived. As mentioned before I thinned down the water in the header tank and found it to be a much better consistency.

5D3, 100mm ISL f2.8 macro, f22, ISO 200, 1/200 + 2x580 speedlights and 1x430 speedlight with coloured gel coat

Flying umbrellas

Great images! The reduced viscosity makes it look much more "real"!

I like the lighting in your images, where are the flashes, I guess they're behind the splash?
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Re: Flying umbrellas

Thanks Steve I agree about the viscosity.

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
      I like the lighting in your images, where are the flashes, I guess they're behind the splash?
      i have the 2x580 flashes in front of the tray at 45 degrees each side and slightly above the tray pointing down into it and over where the splash will form, the 430 I had a blue gel fitted to it and was holding just to one side and behind the header tank so that it was pointed almost vertically down onto the splash site. I was running the flashes at 1/16 and 1/32 power

Comment

I am still trying to get a decent umbrella but plenty of time. Not sure these are as sharp as some Ian probably due to the thicker mix. I wonder if just thickening the mixture in the container rather than the header would be effective

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

These are wonderful and a couple of weeks ago, you wouldn't even have dreamed you could get images like these. I am regularly deleting shots that I would have bitten someones arm off for a few weeks ago.

I tried Tesco's today for some Corn Syrup, but they don't stock it locally. Even Mrs C went on a mission to try and get me some, but couldn't. I shall try again at the weekend, if not it will be an internet order.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Not sure these are as sharp as some Ian probably due to the thicker mix. I wonder if just thickening the mixture in the container rather than the header would be effective

Stan
            I think this is down to the upload Stan, I moved to Photbucket and the sharpness just dropped away on the upload. The mix is a lot thinner than the previous images and on my monitor shows more detail.

I was using Photobucket in place of Flikr as I have found recently that a number of images, even at low res, had been ripped and used without my permisson so I am severely restricting what I post there.

Comment

Colin I agree 100% I never dreamt that I would get images like these in such a short time. I believe that the corn syrup is only held at the really large super stores or with the online delivery service.

Comment

Working...
              X