Dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresses

I picked these for posting, because they looked like various skirts and dresses.

1Dx with 100mm f2.8 macro

1/125sec, f22, ISO200.

The first is a mini skirt:

Marilyn Monroe - when her dress blew up:

Strictly come dancing:
    Last edited by colin C; 23-01-2013, 11:03.
    Colin

Re: Dresses

You're getting quite good at this. :D
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

They are beautiful Colin, I like 2 and 3 best, the highlighted area on the backdrop really sets off the highest drop part.

In 1, as in quite a few others, posted previously, the Umbrella part has a look of Fungi made out of Glass.

Regards Paul

Comment

Dresses

Well what a trio you've delivered here Colin. Is your background white card on this set?
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Amazing all the different variations you get mostly with out trying

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Is your background white card on this set?
            It's glass on this one with a blue gel attached. It allows me to maximise the light when using the flash at 1/64th power and I want to keep the flash duration short to guarantee a sharp shot.
            Colin

Comment

Very nice indeed

Comment

Stunning Colin
                EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

These are great, Colin - the 2nd has a life all of her own and they are all so crisp!
                  Could you post the full Exif when you show these, please? Personally, I enjoy learning from that kind of detail.
                  Thanks, Andy

Comment

Wow Colin another great set
                    Chris
                    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Could you post the full Exif when you show these, please?
                      Added as requested.

For these types of shots, I use the same settings all of the time. They are the optimum for my set-up and as there are so many other variable to contend with, I won't make any changes to them.
                      Colin

Comment

Dresses

Very creative and stunning images Colin

Tom

Comment

Thanks Colin, I'm surprised its only 1/125
                          Can I suggest that you use some sort of curved colour card as a background, anchored under the tank? As good as these are, what I presume to be a table / wall interface or something similar is cutting across the image. It's not unpleasant at all as its a soft line (again, surprised, given f22) but personally I think if it wasn't there, it would be an even better shot. Anyway, its a year long project so maybe try it and if it doesn't work, you've only lost a day!
                          Hope you don't mind me saying.
                          Andy

Comment

Hope you don't mind me saying.
                            Don't mind at all Andy, I am always up for any help and advice.

I have two problems with this:

• For some shots, lighting through a glass background is the best solution, particularly when you want to get a sheen off the surface water.

• The catch tank is filled to the brim with water, partly to minimise the horizon line, but also not to have shadows when the subject is backlit. As there is spillage from the catch tank, there is a larger tank underneath to retain the spillage.

• It would be nice to use a larger aperture which would fade out the horizon line, but I need f22 or at least f16 for the shots. This is macro from between 300mm and 400mm distance and although they look quite large when posted, many would fit within your thumbnail and the small aperture is needed to get front to rear sharpness when the drops collide.

• I think the best compromise is to use a longer catch tray to further fade out the horizon line, so I need to source the right one for that. Of course, that will need a larger containment tray. A catchment tray in white and another in black would be useful .............. and so the list goes on and on.

I am not averse to using photoshop to solve the problem, after all, I do use it to remove stray drops and generally clean the shot up, but it is a little more satisfying to get it how you want it in camera if possible.
                            Colin

Comment

Coilin
                              Would maybe a larger lens at greater distance but at near max zoom/aperture and if necessary then cropped give you the preferred DOF to throw the background completely out?
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X