A Drop of Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Drop of Wine

I have been playing with wine glasses and water drops. I found that using the full wine glass shrank the water drop a little too much, so I have concentrated on just the top of the glass.

Canon 1Dx + 100mm f2.8 macro

1/125sec, f18, ISO 200

Just breaking through

Just what I wanted

Burst the Bubble
    Colin

A Drop of Wine

Again I'm very impressed. Well done.

Tom

Comment

Re: A Drop of Wine

Guess you are using a narrow rather than a wide topped glass

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Guess you are using a narrow rather than a wide topped glass
        Not really Stan.

These are standard size at the top, but deeper than normal and quite chunky - Mrs C chose them and wasn't too happy that I was using them. I would prefer to use the more standard goblet design and then I could get the whole goblet in shot and it still be recognisable as a wine glass.

Yet another purchase in support of water drop photography.
        Colin

Comment

Just wondered as the splash looks quite large compared to the glass top.

BTW how did you avoid the reflections in the liquid

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

They are quite large, but a lot smaller than the dresses water drops. I had to do another set-up and zero everything in to get the maximum sized drops that I dare for this shoot.

Lighting was 2 flashes, 45deg to the background to reflect light through the subject and define the edges, plus another flash high above to add a bit of 'kick'. Without that, all the bubbles looked rather flat.
            Colin

Comment

I get the feeling Colin is not alone in haven taken to water droplets. I like them and never the same twice. Keep them coming.

Is your setup clever enough to allow a photograph to be taken with Camera-2 of Camera-1 taking the picture of the the drop? ... out of academic interest naturally.

What next 'A Big Drip Contest'

Comment

What next 'A Big Drip Contest'
                One or two people on Mrs C's side of the family could win that without too much difficulty.

Is your setup clever enough to allow a photograph to be taken with Camera-2 of Camera-1 taking the picture of the the drop? ... out of academic interest naturally.
                No. There is only the one trigger, so only camera 1 can take the shot. I have taken a couple of set-up shots, just to make sure I can always get back to the same set-up with props and lighting etc., or to see how it evolves over time. So every time I make any significant changes to the set-up, I will take a shot for the record.
                Colin

Comment

I do like the burst the bubble.

What about with a goblet glass half full and shooting through the glass side so to speak?
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

What about with a goblet glass half full and shooting through the glass side so to speak?
                    Good idea, keep em coming.

All good ideas gratefully received.
                    Colin

Comment

Colin you were looking for a larger tray, I purchased a black oventray from Tesco for £2 which is large enough for me to get the whole splash shot in frame without impinging on the background, I hope to get a second one tomorrow and a cheap can of white spay paint to give me a white catch tray, it may be worth you looking in Tesco for a similar tray they are about 16x10 inches and 11/2 inches deep.

The shots are great by the way.

Comment

I am using the same one as my spillage tank, so my existing catch tank is a lot smaller than that. I have narrowed my search to a couple on eBay, but they want as much for postage as the cost of the trays. Mrs C is none too happy with my Paypal expenditure recently, so I'll look around locally first.
                        Colin

Comment

I use the Tesco tray in one of the Oven's main trays which is larger and as we have 3 of them I seem to get away with that for most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X