Burst my Bubble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burst my Bubble.

You have seen a version of this shot before under "A drop of wine", but I have given it a bit of a polish to bring out the best of it and added a simple border. There is 30mm of white around the line, but it doesn't show against the white Forum surround.

It will be printed and mounted for a Camera Club competition and needs to be handed in on Tuesday, for judging the following week. I'll let you know how it fares.

Colin

Burst my Bubble.

Good luck Colin

Tom

Comment

Re: Burst my Bubble.

from me Colin

I'm sure I can see a frog on a lilly pad or is it my tired eyes
      Chris
      Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Good luck colin
        Raj
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Thats tidied up well Colin - be interesting to see what the judge makes of it next week

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Good luck with the competition Colin, let's know what the judges think about it.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Good luck Colin. it's a bit out of most judges comfort zone, so it may not win! I would certainly put it with "I'll see it again" prints. Well done.
              Scuff

Canon EOS 1Dx
              16-35, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis, 70-300 f4-5.6Lis, 300 f2.8Lis, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 90 TS-E
              Speedlight 600ex-RT (2x), ST-E3 RT.

My flickr page

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                Thats tidied up well Colin - be interesting to see what the judge makes of it next week

Stan
                As we use the same judges Stan, I am just getting in quick before they get used to yours.
                Colin

Comment

As we use the same judges Stan, I am just getting in quick before they get used to yours.

the name would be useful for future reference. We have a print comp next week as well, abstract theme, but i had already sorted out my two shots before I got the kit

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

It will be really interesting to hear the judges comments. I agree with Scuff in that it will test the comfort zone...

Gets my vote though
                    David

Comment

Looks good. Hope you do well.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

it's a bit out of most judges comfort zone, so it may not win!
                        • Give them a good, or bad, landscape and they are happy.

• Give them a sunset, or a Swan and they have something the moan about.

Anything else and you are in uncharted territory and it's rather fun to watch them fidget and be stuck for words - but you pay for it with a lower mark.
                        Colin

Comment

Colin, can i ask you a question? when i zoom in the inner wall of the glass on the left side looks a little ragged, is that how it was or is it due to some P.P?

Raj
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            • Give them a good, or bad, landscape and they are happy.

• Give them a sunset, or a Swan and they have something the moan about.

Anything else and you are in uncharted territory and it's rather fun to watch them fidget and be stuck for words - but you pay for it with a lower mark.
                            I agree which is why I tend to give them a 'normal / traditional' image and a 'non-standard' image to see what hey make of things it is normally good for a laugh.

I like your image and wish you all the best and will be interested to hear how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
                              Colin, can i ask you a question? when i zoom in the inner wall of the glass on the left side looks a little ragged, is that how it was or is it due to some P.P?
                              You little pixel peeper Raj.

Thank you for pointing that out. Think of the embarrassment saved if the judge noticed that? .................. assuming he had his spectacles on!

When I had this open for some polishing, I ended up with 5 layers. The blips down the side of the glass are actually water overspill. You can appreciate that for every drop to land in the wine glass, an equivalent amount must spill over. I did a quick selection and noticed that the highlighted areas of each drip weren't selected, resulting in the ragged edges. I was distracted by some family stuff and ended up smoothing the selection on one side of one layer, and the other side on a different layer. In hindsight, with one sitting above the other, it was always going to be lopsided. Thankfully, I keep layered copies of important photo's I have photoshopped, so following your query, I was able to work out exactly what happened.

Following on from that, a friend commented that there seemed to be too much of the wine glass and it wasn't really contributing to the shot. A short time after, Mrs C asked why I included so much of the glass? If it was another member's shot, I would have noted that immediately, but I was so emotionally tied up with this shot, that I didn't notice and just cropped it to suit normal A3 Paper.

I have now looked at it more objectively and here is the final version that will be handed in for judging:

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X