Water Drop Methodology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Drop Methodology.

Regardless of what liquid I am using and how much thicker than tap water it may be, this works and allows me to gradually dial in the shot. The other major variable is the height of the solenoid. The higher it is, the greater energy in the drop and that will have an effect on the controls.

Assuming you have read and understood the instructions, the first objective is to get the 1st drop to hit the fluid in the catchtank, make a depression and use its stored energy to rise into a tendril. I want to finalise that tendril first, to the exclusion of all else, so I start with all knobs at the 10am position, as the supplied instructions, but then move the middle top knob clockwise to 5pm. That knob controls the delay between the 1st and 2nd drop, so by moving it around so far, at this stage you are effectively taking the second drop out of the equation.

Now start to move the bottom knob, which is the delay to fire the camera shutter. Note the position of the tendril, if at all. It starts with a drop above the water, splash, depression, start to rise, tendril and then a gradual reduction in the height of the tendril. Once you understand that sequence, you can see where you are in its cycle and make tiny adjustments with the camera shutter delay knob to get the tendril how you want it. Remember that the whole sequence above is still happening every time: what you are doing is determining where the shutter will fire during that sequence.

Next you need to adjust the knob that adjusts the delay between the 1st and 2nd drop. Bring it back to 12pm and make very small movements to the left until collisions occur. If collisions are already occurring, fine tune with small movements to the right. It will take around 5 drops for everything to stabilise, so be a little patient and don't make any adjustments until half a dozen drops have taken place. Now you can fine tune the timing of the second drop to obtain the style of collision that you want. In the beginning, any collision at all is a bonus, but as you become more accustomed to the kit, you will start to become more selective with what you want.

You will notice that we haven't touched knob 1, which affects the size of the 1st drop, or knob 2, which controls the size of the second drop. When you adjust these, it affects the energy in the 1st drop, or the 2nd drop, or both. That energy speeds up, or slows down the sequence of events and consequently, for every movement of the 1st knob, you will need to make a corresponding movement of the shutter delay - 4th knob. For every movement of the the 3rd knob, which controls the size of the 2nd drop, you will need to alter the second knob and possibly the 4th knob.

I wasted a lot of time and effort by making too big an adjustment of each knob. The best advice I can provide is when you are getting in the right ball park of what you want, make the tiniest of movements of the knob. By tiniest of movements, I really do mean barely perceptible.

Keep your set-up the same each time and if you make any changes, change only one element at a time. It is easy to get confused and waste a lot of time and effort to get you back on track. Changing one thing at a time makes more logical and much easier to backtrack.

Now that I am in from the cold and working in the kitchen, here is my set-up and a few observations:

• Note the plastic tablecloth - some of those splashes travel a long way.
    • Note my focussing aid - easy to slide in or out.
    • Note the picture on the wall - one of my earlier successes that Mrs C Liked.

Colin

Re: Water Drop Methodology.

Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this Colin looking forward to my kit arriving next week some time

I know you said you have your flash at 45 degrees can you just show me where you have them in relation to your setup here, sorry for sounding a bit thick here.

What I'm meaning to say is are they up high out of the way pointing down or do you cover them in polythene bags so they don't get splashed on.
    Last edited by crunch; 26-01-2013, 20:29.
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

that is a great summary of how to get things working, thanks for sharing.

I note that you have the drop tank and solenoid at the top of the stand, was this to show the set up or is this how you use it? I typically have my drop tank and solenoid about 2/3 up the support stand.

Again I don't know how you have your flashes set up but I typically have one almost at each of the front corners at 45 degrees to the point at which the drops hitthe catch tank and a third flash behind the drop near the rear corner and firing forward to throw light through the resultant splash, I also find that this helps make the tendril stand out from the water in the catch tank. All of my flashes are as near the water level as possible firing parallel to the water surface. I would be interested to hear how others set up their flashes.

Comment

Water Drop Methodology.

I concur, great write-up Colin!

Some additional comments and suggestions...

I tend to keep the flash parallel to and level with the liquid surface, and since I set the flash at around 120 and 240 degrees I flag them to prevent any flare as they're pointing partially towards the camera.

I've tried both diffused and direct flash, both give different styles, but consider the reduction in diffused flash intensity (maybe as much as two stops especially if you're using coloured gels too) and its impact on flash duration

Take care with stray reflection too, flagging the flash heads can prevent stray reflections and illumination of the liquid surface and containers. Cinefoil is a good, flexible, and cheap material with which to flag your flash

If you're using a shallow glass container then put a piece of black card or cloth beneath it to prevent reflections from the surface beneath

I've found that zooming the flash helps both concentrate the illumination on the actual splash, and increasing the perceived power allowing a reduction in the flash intensity setting to minimise the flash duration and decrease recharge time

Make sure the SplashArt kit is completely vertical so that the drops fall directly down from the nozzle to ensure consistent drop placement
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I note that you have the drop tank and solenoid at the top of the stand
          I have found the the thicker the mixture, the more energy you need in the drops, the higher the drop tank needs to be. Or, I may need it higher if I am shooting into a wine glass, or something tall.

you have your flash at 45 degrees can you just show me where you have them
          I have two main lighting set-ups, plus some minor variations, depending on my mood. Two flashes 45 deg to a white card background, which bounces the light back through the splash.

My second one is shown in the set-up, but what is not shown is actually hidden behind the glass and I have included another shot below showing the flash arrangement and the type of shot it will cover. Other than resizing, the shot is from the camera, not cleaned up or polished.

Note my makeshift gel holders on the flashguns

Colin

Comment

Steve has made a good point about zooming the flashes, the 2 I have in front of the drop I have zoomed to either 80 or 105mm and the one behind the drop I use to diffuse light across the catch tank so tend to have this at 50mm or wider, I run now run the flashes at 1/128 power to keep the duration as short as possible, the downside of this is the front 2 flash heads are only about 100mm from the point of impact of the droplet.

in the set up I have been using I haven't flagged any of the flashes as I have found that the rear flash tends to kill unwanted reflections but I may well try flagging the front flash guns.

I have also found that if I place a black card across the back and down the side of the catch tank which is opposite the rear flash this helps kill unwanted reflections.

Comment

Water Drop Methodology.

Colin, looking at your flash picture (nice old fashioned retort stand by the way!) there don't appear to be any radio triggers, are you optically triggering them?
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

there don't appear to be any radio triggers, are you optically triggering them?
                I am using the Canon Speedlight Transmitter ST-E2, shown on the hotshoe of the camera. Optical, radio, or cables all work, it's down to what you have, or is most convenient.

I also zoom flashes to the front of the back drop, but diffuse them if I am shooting through the glass.
                Colin

Comment

Thanks for that Colin makes more sense now
                  Chris
                  Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

nice old fashioned retort stand by the way!
                    I got it from a school. Cast iron base and decades old. Neither the science technicians or the students like to use these old ones as they are rusty and very heavy. I made a small donation to school funds for one and one wire brush and a couple of coats of Hammerite black and it is just the ticket.

I am going to try to get another two if they have any.
                    Colin

Comment

A big thank you Colin for taking the time and effort to explain.
                      Raj
                      Raj
                      Flickr

Comment

Excellent Colin
                        Many thanks for taking the time to do this and to include your equipment set up.

Just out of interest in the image showing the retort stand what are the grips holding the speed-lights, oh and is that really glass or some other opaque material.

Your woodworking looks cool too
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

what are the grips holding the speed-lights
                          This is what you need. Check out the other items on the same page, as you will need the bosshead to clamp it to the stand

oh and is that really glass or some other opaque material.
                          That is glass, but most people use plastic.

Your woodworking looks cool too
                          That wood was from a project 3 years ago. I had no further use for the offcut, but it was too good to throw away. One chop saw and a router later and I had my stands.
                          Last edited by colin C; 27-01-2013, 17:36.
                          Colin

Comment

Water Drop Methodology.

Thanks for the link Colin much appreciated.
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                            X