Waterproof Lens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproof Lens.

They say its waterproof, but you can't take everything at face value and sometimes, you just have to test these things for yourself.

Just as an afterthought you may notice the double bubble:

100mm f2.8 Macro

1/200sec f18 ISO200

2 x Canon 580EX flashes 45 deg left and right
    1 x Canon 420EX flash above and behind with light purple Gel
    All Canon flashes fired by Canon ST-E2 Trigger

Colin

Re: Waterproof Lens.

Nice image
    Canon 600d
    Canon Ef 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM,
    Speedlight 430 EX II, B+W 110 10 stop Screw in ND

Comment

Is this your lens cleaning technique Colin? If so, does it effectively remove stubborn fingerprints from the front element?

I trust you had a protection filter fitted?

I hope that's a lens-mug!
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

That's different. Did the 24-105 wear a filter for this experiment

I'm waiting for bubbles on Yes Tor ...

Comment

Raj
          Flickr

Comment

Double bubble and the drip from the top - excellent

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Double Bubbles now that must be tricky so a Tommy Two Thumbs awarded for the effort and frustration this must have taken/caused.

I think you're making mugs of us here Colin
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Brilliant Colin, I love the idea, the double bubble and extra drop now what competition will that be going into?

Comment

This was the shot that I was having difficulty lighting with black on black i.e black lens against a black background. However I lit it, the bubbles were dull. But, that is where I got the first double bubble. Not good enough to posts because of the lighting, but a far more important area to get right than the lighting ........ if I could repeat it. As it turned out, I could and I also have examples of the outer bubble in the middle of bursting and the inner bubble still intact.

This is as taken in camera, nothing added in Photoshop, though as with all things where splashes are involved, there will be some cloning out.
                  Colin

Comment

Now that is impressive. I know if I watered my 24-105mm, there would be a water splash in the toilette as Mrs S would be throwing my head in it. I'm wondering what you are doing for Mrs. C. to keep her calm

Now we've had an egg, a chocolate egg, a volcano, a coffee cup, a toilette, an expensive EF24-105mm L...hmmm what could be next? A splash coming out of a camera body?

Tom

Comment

Now Colin, is that a real 24-105, or the cup version?
                      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

As some of you have guessed, the 24 - 105mm L Series lens is actually a carefully crafted coffee cup, stainless steel lined.

I also have many, many, thanks to Stan. He doesn't know why yet, but on his original shots with bubbles, his method was to blow bubbles in the container with a drinking straw. Well, no way could I blow bubbles the correct size, but I did recall Stan's straw trick and dipped the end of the straw in the bubble solution to keep it wet, then inserted it into a bubble and either blew air in to make it larger, or sucked it out to make it smaller. I thought this would be troublesome, but it worked nearly every time and Mrs C was most impressed watching it. There were many occasions when the two bubbles joined together to make a larger one, so in went the straw to such out some air and then start again with the larger one.

I also used a mixture containing Guar Gum to thicken the water in the drop tank and you will notice that the edges of the "Collision" are round and much more uniform. I did this to stop random small droplets popping the bubble and that also worked quite well.

You will notice that the outer bubble isn't a uniform dome. That is because it is quivering from the impact and partial penetration of the third drop. Bit like jelly on a plate.

This was the most difficult to date with a lot of things to control, but it came together quite well and I still have most of my hair. Much better than the previous day when I tried and failed with the lighting for a black background.
                        Colin

Comment

A great shot. I think the lens is a plastic mug- it looks plasticky!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I also have many, many, thanks to Stan. He doesn't know why yet, but on his original shots with bubbles, his method was to blow bubbles in the container with a drinking straw.
                            I had thought the straw trick would be involved somewhere along the line so I had a little play this afternoon with some bubble mix. I did manage to get the odd bubble within a bubble but found as soon as it was formed it rushed to the side of the cup

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

Really intricate image Colin great skills, and perseverence.

ray

Comment

Working...
                              X