Food photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food photography

I've been asked to photograph some cakes for a friends new business start up.

Any tips? It's not subject I've photographed before.

Re: Food photography

Not to sure on tips but ; A macro or close focus lens would be handy, using a tripod will make life easier to frame the shot, flash could always help if lighting is poor bounce light of ceiling to reduce any shadows, keep an eye on your exposure use +/- compensation to bring out or reduce the shadows or highlights this can be quite effective when shooting food, also shoot from different angles side, top,wide angle, closeup.One more thing if shoot close up watch your depth of field as you don't get very much (even at f8/16) can be creative but focusing needs to be right, These are a few thing that would be on my mind if i was going to shoot food dishes.

Paul
    Last edited by paul linton; 18-02-2013, 11:59.
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I am no expert by any means but like to photograph food I have cooked. I would say always use natural light if possible. If you have to use a flash use something that replicates natural light. Think about the set up of the food as Paul said above. Different angles. For cakes think about rows or on a cake stand. Try a shallow DoF and get the nearest cake in focus, with the others fading into the distance gradually. Look at the details, is there swirly cream or decorations on top. Try and focus on that. Enjoy!
      “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
      http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Again, no expert but natural light is likely to be best, be aware of what is behind your subject as it can be easy to get focused on just your subject and you could pick up some unwanted distraction in the background, shallow DOF works well for food photography. Good luck, be sure to post some of the results.
        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

I've recently done a similar shoot. Here's what I did:

Natural light with a reflector.
          For backgrounds you'll find a handful of wallpaper off-cuts work really well - the bits you're allowed to take away as 'test' samples are ideal and free.
          I found shallow depth of field of 50mm worked best, camera on a tripod.
          Shoot RAW - you will need to be very accurate with horizontals/verticles and you're white balance is critical. Also keep an eye on exposures as anything white is likely to need compensation.

The bottom group of 18 on this page are mine.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

What about different props. If your photographing food to appeal to many rather than the few.

Some prefer the plain muffin on a plate with a latte.. others will like to see the china cake stand with a cup of tea in a china cup and saucer. Just an idea.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thank you all for your help. Will post some of the results.

Comment

One of my favourites from the other day. I like the pastel colours.

C&c welcome!

uploadfromtaptalk1361833015075.jpg

Comment

That's just fab! The DoF, colours, composition, the lot. Look forward to seeing more.
                  “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                  http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Think your going in the right direction Guesty, Nothing wrong with your first image well done.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I like the dof and how you've caught the colour.

Do confess though, don't think I would be able to put a knife into that cake.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Here are a few more from last week. My friend was very happy with them, but if appreciate done c&c.

uploadfromtaptalk1362225118115.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1362225149035.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1362225202028.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1362225229193.jpg

Comment

Nicely done.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X