Infra Red Filter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infra Red Filter Problem

For a while I have been using a B+W 092 IR screw filter on the EF-M 22mm lens. I have been getting good results with this filter, but since it only fits the EF-M 22mm Lens, I bought a Cokin A.007 89B IR Filter as I have a ring adapters that will fit 43mm and 52mm. When The Cokin Filter Arrived, the 1st thing I noticed was that it blocks almost all visible light compared to the B+W IR Filter. When I tested the Cokin with the EF-M 22mm I got some strange results. So I tested the Cokin with the EF-M 18-55mm and got the same results.

Now the other thing I noticed was that you need to focus prior to putting the Cokin Filter on as that lens will not focus with the filter on. Anyway here are the results from the same scene:

This Image was taken w/EF-M 22mm w/B+W 092 IR Filter:

Now here is the what it looks like w/EF-M 18-55mm w/Cokin A.007 89B IR Filter:

As you can see with the Cokin Filter there are 2 bright circles on the bottom left hand corner of the image. Same problem w/the EF-22mm Lens. So my question is what is causing those bright circles?

Also note that the sun was behind me.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Infra Red Filter Problem

It looks just like light-leak to me Tom, I suffered exactly the same phenomenon when using Cokin (square) filters. After trying various fixes, none of which worked satisfactorily, I bought screw-in filters and reducing-rings.

It seems that the long IR (or ND) exposures exacerbate the small amount of light-leak around the Cokin holder, resulting in internal reflections.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve for clarifying that issue for me.

Tom

Comment

Based on your advice Steve, I have a hood for the Cokin Holder. What I did was go upstairs and pulled a pair of black socks from my drawer. I cut off the foot part of the sock and used that to cover the hood, IR Filter and the Lens, doubling the sock over the set-up. Here are the results:

There are using the EF-M 22mm w/Cokin A.007 89B Filter.

The exposure time for this image was 10 sec

The Exposure time for this image was 30 sec

I was pretty pleased with the results of both of this images, and there appears to be no more light leaks on the image.

Tom

Comment

I should have tried a sock like you Tom! Your ingenious use of footwear could have saved me me cost of the screw-in filters

The images are looking good
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

Look is good Tom

Comment

Thanks Ian

Comment

Haa, good trick with the socks Tom, both images look good to me.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Comment

Socks heh? Stinky ............ but effective!
                      Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin

Comment

I saw the Black Sock listed on the info for the picture in the other post Tom, I thought no it can't be, must be some gadget those IR togs use anyway top marks for improvisation and great that it solved the problem. Like both of these by the way.

Doug.
                          Cameras... 7D, 350D
                          Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                          Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks Doug

Comment

Great Images Tom and ingenious solution to a problem
                              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Working...
                              X