Food banks- 8th Dec 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food banks- 8th Dec 2014

I am sure members are aware of the growing concern about "hungry Britain" and the rush to collect items for the foodbanks in their locality. I was requested to photograph the food and other items collected by the senior residents of a retirement home in St.Asaph which are being sent to the nearest foodbank in St. Asaph. I am sure this shows the scale of the problem and hopefully this will not be a common sight to any one of us in the near future.

Food bank 8th Dec 2014 004 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Food banks- 8th Dec 2014

It's all over the world Nat. We collect here as well to keep the food banks filled as they are unfortunately used everyday

Tom

Comment

we have them here also Nat, for some its the only way they can get food and we drop a can or two into collection bins when we go shopping

its a major problem here as the Spanish unemployment rate is very high and 18-30 its currently 50%!!! - but to make things worse we have no social system so after 3 months of benefit its stopped and you get no money at all !!!
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Tom and Ian for leaving a comment. I did not realise that this was a common sight all over the world- esp in the 21st Century! The question therefore "is life getting better" today?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I think this may open a huge can of worms Nat. Everyone will have a different opinion on the rise of foodbanks and their causes. There seems to be a lot of named brands on that table. When I was younger, I had holes in my school shoes. Rather than get new ones, I was forced to put cardboard insoles in to stop my socks from poking through by the end of the day. Not great on wet days I can tell you. Also if I ripped my school trousers, my mum sewed them. These days kids just get everything new. I often remember having to use newspaper in stead of toilet roll. I don't joke on that one. It was a common theme.

When I was younger, a packet of cheesy pasta was spread across the family of 5 with chips & peas. Homemade soup was a staple diet as well as a myriad of other grub thrown in a pot a called Stovies. Kids these days wouldn't look at that and call it disgusting, and throw a tantrum if they can't get a McDonalds or a KFC/Pizza once a week.

It was even worse for folk when my dad and mum were younger. I dare to say it, that the country as it stands doesn't really know the value of true poverty. We're not quite at the rations stage yet, and I don't see many families filling their trolley's with ASDA Smartprice goods. It's all higher priced name brands. Kids are still getting on the internet, surfing on tablets and smartphones, while the electricity runs away with a 40" TV on the wall playing Sky TV at £40 a month, while no one watches it.

Probably going to get some feedback on my summary, but when you lived your childhood in utter poverty where the only clothes you got where from bigger cousins or your dad, it's hard to accept that this modern life has that level of poverty in it.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I am sure Paul, I read your story on another thread of mine sometime ago- re meeting life's challenges- ah I remember "inspirational stories". YOu have done very well and I am sure there are many others who have fought the good fight through adversity and come out on top.

Comment

Working...
            X