York Minster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

York Minster

I am trying out a new w/a lens and this is one of the first results. I could not find an obvious place to put it - hope this is OK

An interior by Roger Macdonald, on Flickr

Re: York Minster

Roger, for me that's a nice bright and clean image and a good result for your new lens. And with no-one in the aisle, I guess that doesn't happen often! A couple of suggestions, if I may; I have now got into the habit of doing all my interiors as bracketed exposures, which would have enabled you to have retained a bit more detail in the stained glass, either by HDR or simply by combining the images. The other thing is the skewed-ness of the image which messes with my eyes. Clearly everything doesn't line up inside, so there is no obvious line for you to work on, and I assume that you've put a lot of effort in to straighten the verticals, which is great, but can you also at least make the main roof beam horizontal? I think that would help.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thank you Alex for some constructive suggestions. I will definitely re-align the image before I use it again. As to possible HDR etc I would need to go back and retake, but the good news is I can get in free.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
        Roger, for me that's a nice bright and clean image and a good result for your new lens. And with no-one in the aisle, I guess that doesn't happen often! A couple of suggestions, if I may; I have now got into the habit of doing all my interiors as bracketed exposures, which would have enabled you to have retained a bit more detail in the stained glass, either by HDR or simply by combining the images. The other thing is the skewed-ness of the image which messes with my eyes. Clearly everything doesn't line up inside, so there is no obvious line for you to work on, and I assume that you've put a lot of effort in to straighten the verticals, which is great, but can you also at least make the main roof beam horizontal? I think that would help.
        nailed it - agree but looking forward to seeing what you do next time round Roger
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Here is abetter version - about as good as I am likely to get without a re-take which will not be for a few weeks
          AA resized by Roger Macdonald, on Flickr

Comment

Lovely interior shot of York Minster

Sue

Comment

Thank you, but it is really down to the best lens I have ever used.

Roger
              Originally posted by Redgrape View Post
              Lovely interior shot of York Minster

Sue

Comment

Lovely interior. You've done a great job with this. My only suggestion re the verticals would be to position yourself more centrally in the isle. That should bring everything into line I'd say. Fantastic image though, well done,

Garry
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
                  Thank you, but it is really down to the best lens I have ever used.

Roger
                  No matter how good your equipment is, remember, it's the operator that makes the image
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                    My only suggestion re the verticals would be to position yourself more centrally in the isle. That should bring everything into line I'd say. Fantastic image though, well done,

Garry
                    Thanks all for the comments. In fact the off center viewpoint was deliberate as I wanted to see better into the RHS, but I do think it failed and I will be dead center when I get round to the re-take.Thanks also for the various comments about the kit, in fact this was taken at 16mm wide open (16-35 f4) and, there is no way my 24-105mm would have touched it, good as it is.
                    Last edited by RogerMac; 17-03-2016, 14:25.

Comment

Super clean image

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X