Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RAW to the rescue!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    He'll be moving on to HDR before we know it - what is the world coming to? ;)
    LOL
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Stan, when I travel I take a copy of the FastStone SW with me it is free, simple, very small footprint and reads the Canon RAW files, it may not suit your needs but on the other hand it may have some use have a look at the url http://www.faststone.org/
      thanks Muscat, I'll have a look at that

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
        Not sure what you mean here... There's no need to set any parameters differently for RAW shooting
        You'll see I've piggy-backed onto Nathaniel's thread. It's not taking the photo, it's what processing should be done as a matter of course to turn a RAW into a nice looking jpg, but I'm sure that will get answered in the other discussion.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
          You'll see I've piggy-backed onto Nathaniel's thread. It's not taking the photo, it's what processing should be done as a matter of course to turn a RAW into a nice looking jpg, but I'm sure that will get answered in the other discussion.
          Hi Wooley;

Provided you've got it mostly right in-camera, and provided you're using Canon's DPP, there really isn't a great deal you need to do...

As far as post-process editing is concerned; there's really little difference to processing a RAW in DPP as to a JPEG in PSE; you'll go through exactly the same decisions as you do when reviewing your JPEGs.

A large percentage of the image quality improvement comes from converting the RAW file to a JPEG on your PC as against allowing the camera to do it for you. The PC's processing power is far greater than that achievable within the camera's systems, so the PC can work on much wider gamut and/or lower compression rates...

Give it a go... it really isn't that scary. You can't do any harm to the file... it's all recoverable!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Well that seems to be basically what I'm doing, I just feel there should be more. Then people mention always sharpening at the end and such like and I see some of Colin's reprocessed pictures and without obviously changing the file they look much better.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hi Woolley;

I don't proclaim to be the world's expert on DPP, but I'd be quite happy to have a play with one of your images if you so wished...

If you want to send me a sample RAW file and an end-result JPEG file that you think should be better, send me a PM, and I'll give you an e-mail address to send them to...

I'll have a play, and then, if I think I can do better, I'll tell you what I did. Then hopefully there will be an identifiable difference between our two sets of processing parameters...

Cheers...

Comment

Good examples via photos. So watch out "Nathaniel is about" shooting RAW, asking questions, Confusing himself, more questions,more RAW photos etc etc. Yes, I will go out and shoot anything in RAW/JPEG and see what happens. I am quite astounded by the examples shown by CF.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                  Good examples via photos. So watch out "Nathaniel is about" shooting RAW, asking questions, Confusing himself, more questions,more RAW photos etc etc. Yes, I will go out and shoot anything in RAW/JPEG and see what happens. I am quite astounded by the examples shown by CF.
                  Way to go !!!!!
                  Looking forward to your RAW shots.

David
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                    ...watch out "Nathaniel is about" shooting RAW, asking questions, Confusing himself, more questions,more RAW photos etc etc. Yes, I will go out and shoot anything in RAW/JPEG and see what happens...
                    LOL : Bring it on... we're ready for you

Comment

You see people ...................... gently, gently catchee monkey!

Float the idea and watch the look of horror. Later, add a bit more depth to the proposal. When the time is right, show tangible results for going with the proposal and generally they are hooked.

It was all for your own good Nathaniel!

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X