Weston super Mare fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weston super Mare fireworks

There was a display at the Grand Pier in Weston yesterday evening and SWMBO and I went along to try our hand at photographing fireworks.

Unfortunately, not for us the grandeur of a cliff-top vantage point and the chance to sit in a deck chair in the garden, G&T to hand, firing off the occasional shot as enjoyed by ColytonJohn at the recent Paignton display.

No, we had to settle for the hurly-burly of the promenade and found ourselves about 150 yards from the firing point, looking over the wall onto the golden sands (read mud) of Weston.

Following the advice so kindly given by ColytonJohn, I set the camera up on manual, 100 ISO, f11 and 8 seconds. I used the 24-105 and set the camera to portrait, since I was hoping for some high bursts. In the event, although the display was enjoyable, the bursts were only at a medium height and the organisers had set them in a fan shape, so I lost the outer edges of some of the bursts (there was no time to *rse about changing orientation).

Nonetheless, I am pleased with the results, which are far better than I have achieved before. I suspect though, that the end of term report will say "improving, but could do better".

Weston 01 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Weston 02 by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Weston super Mare fireworks

Yes, a shame they're cropped but you nailed the exposure and the second one where the crew are clearly visible is a cracker

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
    Unfortunately, not for us the grandeur of a cliff-top vantage point and the chance to sit in a deck chair in the garden, G&T to hand, firing off the occasional shot as enjoyed by ColytonJohn at the recent Paignton display.
    Lies - it was a pint of Bridge Farm cider

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Great shots John, well done as the colours are beautiful

Comment

John & Dave - thank you for looking and for your favourable comments.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        Lies - it was a pint of Bridge Farm cider
        Cheers,
        John
        Should our paths ever cross, I shall bring you a bottle of my own (Park Farm) cider - although it varies from year to year, sometimes it is Gurt Lush!
        John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
          Should our paths ever cross, I shall bring you a bottle of my own (Park Farm) cider - although it varies from year to year, sometimes it is Gurt Lush!
          I'll hold you to that

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Well done John

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom
              John Liddle

Comment

Fantastic John
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thank you Alan - I shall try to build on what I have achieved so far at the next display we attend.
                  John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                  X