Fairies at the Bottom of the Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairies at the Bottom of the Garden

The basis of this is one of my fungi shots from yesterday (probably post the original later on) and still thinking of further ideas for our camera club subject "top view of something" I had the idea of combining the fungi with fairies, the top view being the fungi covering them. I bought the fairy models and shot them on a plain green background to make them easier to cut out then added them in PS
    WDYT

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 27-09-2010, 15:38.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Fairies at the Bottom of the Garden

Nice one Stan, I like this, good idea.

I bought the fairy models and shot them on a plain green background to make them easier to cut out then added them in PS
    Another way to do this is to use a background does not contain the same colour as any of the colours in the object.

In this one you could have used a royal blue background. In photoshop select blue, then inverse the selection.
    It is faster.

Trev

Comment

Stan,
      Really like this and, to me anyway, the fairies do not look "photoshopped"
      I just wonder how a judge will take it.
      I am sure Colin C will give a judicial opinion as to whether or not this works.

David
      David

Comment

I think that the concept is very good and you are almost at a state of having a very good image. But, the fairies look like they are floating. Admittedly, I imagine that if fairies did exist, they could float if they chose to. Ha! I am not sure of how to correct this though. Maybe lower the one on the left and have the blades of grass coming across her would help with the illusion.

Comment

Another thought.... why not get some small fungi and place this in the grass beneath the larger toadstool and sit the models on the small fungi.

No cut and paste photoshopping required

David
          David

Comment

Thanks Guys for your comments
            In this one you could have used a royal blue background. In photoshop select blue, then inverse the selection.
            It is faster.
            thats the method i used Trevor. The green card i used was sufficiently different to the greens in the fairies to make selection with the magic wand very easy
            But, the fairies look like they are floating. Admittedly, I imagine that if fairies did exist, they could float if they chose to. Ha! I am not sure of how to correct this though. Maybe lower the one on the left and have the blades of grass coming across her would help with the illusion.
            Bryan, thanks for your observation. On the layers containing each fairy i did apply a layer mask and then paint back some of the background around their legs but it has not got a lot of texture to really make a difference. It is still a work in progress and I may not use this particular image. I have given similar treatment to the parasol mushroom i posted a few days ago and have painted back the grass around their legs - I think they blend better with the background as well it being much more green
            Another thought.... why not get some small fungi and place this in the grass beneath the larger toadstool and sit the models on the small fungi.
            I didn't buy the models until we had gone into Burley for lunch otherwise i would have tried that at the time - they are about the right size anyway so could try them in situ next time

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 27-09-2010, 16:12.

flickr

Comment

Hi Stan you did a good job, look at using the replace colour under the adjustments tools in PS.

Because these objects are shinny you have reflected green in the legs, the replace color tool in photoshop can be very effective in removing this, if you want.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev
                how do you know that fairies dont have green legs
                Seriously the replace colour tool is not something I have got to grips with and guess it would be good for these and other circumstances

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  Hi Trev
                  how do you know that fairies dont have green legs
                  Just an un-educated guess Stan
                  Were the fairies too big just to plonk them under the shrooms on location ?

Trev

Comment

Were the fairies too big just to plonk them under the shrooms on location ?
                    I reckon they would have been just the right size had i bought them before and not after the shoot

Stan

flickr

Comment

I reckon they would have been just the right size had i bought them before and not after the shoot
                      Ah the joys of photoshop

Trev

Comment

It is a cracking image, and technically brilliant IMO, your PS skills are great. I have a lot to learn about PS both in 'normal' and astro photoraphy.
                        But, one question mate, why go to the bother of doing it the way you did, why not set up the scene and take the pic that way. It is in no way a critism BTW, am just wondering is all....
                        Thanks for sharing a wonderful image.

Gary

Comment

Both brilliant but #2 has it for me, the fairies look more natural in that one

Comment

Thanks for looking Gary
                            But, one question mate, why go to the bother of doing it the way you did, why not set up the scene and take the pic that way.
                            as I said I didn't have the fairies at the time - the second shot was taken last Thursday before i had the idea of fairies. I could have got them on Sunday in Burley before shooting but it was the day of the New Forest Marathon and we could not park in town until lunch time.Anyway more fun to do it in PS
                            the fairies look more natural in that one
                            I think you are right Muscat, there are too many colours in the first whereas in the second they blend in more easily

Stan

flickr

Comment

Fun pictures, and very well executed.

I suppose you know the story of the fairy who went out with a mushroom? When her mother protested she explained it wasn't anything serious, he was just a fungii to be with...

I'll get my coat.
                              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                              X