M81, Bodes Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M81, Bodes Galaxy

This is my latest effort in astro imaging. I find this a particularly difficult object to image as it is soo faint. Anyway, here it is... 3 hours worth of data made up of a mixture of 5 min, 10 min & 15 min subs. Taken with Orion 8" F4 Newt, Canon 1000d, CLS clip, HEQ5 guided with ZS66 and Meade DSI Pro.
    This object is 12 million LY from us in the constellation Ursa Major. It is a face on Spiral Galaxy. This at the moment is my Nemesis, I will do it better just not sure how yet.......
    C&C welcome as usual folks.....

Gaz
    Attached Files

Re: M81, Bodes Galaxy

Wow another great shot......

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Superb.

I couldn't even do that with Photoshop!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Looks pretty good to me well done and thanks for all the details which I find very informative

Comment

Impressive stuff Gaz

DaveH

Comment

Very nice ... how many layers did you take?

Comment

It is not built in layers as such. I had 4 x 15 min subs, 6 x 10 mins subs and 12 x 5 min subs. I put them all into Deep Sky Stacker and ended up with a stacked image. This was then opened in CS5 and I tweaked the levels and curves, that was the result.
              If I knew how to work with layers in CS5 I would have stacked the 3 different exp's individually and then built up the image in CS5. This would have the benifit of the longer subs to get the faint detail, and the shorter ones so that the core does not look burnt out, which it does in my image above. The resulting imae would have been smoother, I would have been able to push the fainter regions a bit more without burning out the core.
              I really need to learn how to work with layers....... :-)

Thanks for the kind words folks, much appriciated.

Gary

Comment

WOW.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X