The Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moon

I was photographing some Coots on a local lake during the "golden hour" when I had a brief thought about photographing the moon. Anyway once the sun had set and the soft light had gone I set about taking my first moon shot.

1D MKIV, ISO 1600, f/8, TV 1/800, 500mmf4, 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Enjoy

Re: The Moon

Great detail in your moon image,and its surprising just how big a lens you need to get a decent shot of the moon and how fast it actually travels through the night sky.A very good shot which you must be pleased with.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Great shot Glen...if you look carefully you can just make out Neil Armstongs foot prints.

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Thanks You could say I'm over the moon with it

I'll get my coat....

Comment

Great shot Glenn now all you need to do is wait a few days to get the other half

Comment

Beautiful. I really do like this.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Muscat and DeeGee

My aim is to capture the moon in it's other phases, full, quarter, etc

Comment

Would look something printed side by side and framed.

Will happily sit and wait to see them...
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Great shot Glen, shows what you can get with the right equipment.
                  Graham

Comment

Excellent detail Glenn
                    I noticed you used both 1.4 and 2 x converters, presume you had to manual focus - I have tried to use both with my 300 f4 but have no been able to achieve focus.
                    BTW exif is showing f 8 but surely with both converters you would have been at something like f13 ?

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      I noticed you used both 1.4 and 2 x converters, presume you had to manual focus - I have tried to use both with my 300 f4 but have no been able to achieve focus.
                      No, I still had AF, though my focus point was set to the centre point. One of the benefits of a 1D I guess

BTW exif is showing f 8 but surely with both converters you would have been at something like f13 ?
                      It probably should be f11 because as you know, you lose 1 stop with the 1.4x and 2 stops with the 2x. What I did see from the exif is that only the 2x registered as it's first in the extender queue, so it looks like the 1.4x doesn't register when combined with the 2x.

Comment

No, I still had AF, though my focus point was set to the centre point. One of the benefits of a 1D I guess
                        yes i know you can use the centre focus point on a 1D up to f8 but you would have thought with both extenders in use it wouldn't. As you say, the camera only registered the 2x so maybe that is why

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                          What I did see from the exif is that only the 2x registered as it's first in the extender queue...
                          Actually it isn't it's second in the queue between body and lens, DOH!

As you say, the camera only registered the 2x so maybe that is why
                          Thinking about it more that is why. Because only the 2x registers you do get AF on centre spot at f8. So the final image was taken at f8 and not f11 like I first thought...

I find it interesting that the 1.4x doesn't register and wonder if the info it gives the camera is either overridden by the 2x or it just doesn't bother because it can tell that the 2x is in use as well???

Comment

Actually it isn't it's second in the queue between body and lens, DOH!
                            I went and put both converters on my 70-200 f2.8 and discovered you have to put the 1.4 on first. I had thought that working on the basis of what your 1D did my 7D would also only register the 2x and give me f5.6 so still autofocus - but no it did not and would not autofocus

stan

flickr

Comment

great shot Glenn. Great idea for the set, that would look great on a large print.
                              David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                              All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                              X