Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The moral? Always have your camera with you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The moral? Always have your camera with you.

These really and truly are 'marmite' photographs as I am sure you will either love them or really hate them and wonder what I was doing or thinking of!! I really do not mind as we are all different and can be fun to see different types of images.

Last evening I was travelling home and was the front seat passenger in a car, so of course I had my camera with me even though it was gone 9pm and pouring with rain. That was the starting point, I thought I would take some night time photography of the car and street lights to see what would look like and here are some of the shots.

I used the 24 -105 lens, TV mode at either 2 secs or 4 secs all hand held the first ones where on the bumpy motorway travelling at 60 mph, the last two were at roundabouts nearer home and I think these are my Jackson Pollock inspired abstract impressionism art.

It was quite a challenge to take any photos, focusing was difficult as it was dark and also pouring with rain so the camera liked the windscreen more than the cars. I tried MF and that helped a little.
    But I did have fun and I'd like to think I may have learnt something....

All comments as always gratefully appreciated.

Rose

6O4A5139_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A5142_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A5147_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A5183_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A5214_1 by Lavender Hill, on Flickr

6O4A5190_1 by Rose, on Flickr
    Last edited by Lavenderhill; 01-11-2023, 13:02.

Well done for experimenting Rose, out of the set I like number four the best.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Different, well done and well thought out Rose — I would have been asleep !!!!
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I really love these Rose! I'm a big fan of any Abstract, ICM or zoom burst kind of work, so these a great. Has to be the 3rd image for me, I love it.
        You should try doing a long exposure of car light trails while zooming your lens in and out during the exposure. The more you zoom in and out, the straighter the light trails get. But can really make some interesting images.

The main thing Rose, is you had fun doing it.

Comment

Well done Rose, like the experiment, all really good fun. Its the fourth for me as well, excellent pic

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

They work for me with the last two being particularly effective.

Surprising what a touch of randomness can add.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you all for looking and your comments, much appreciated.
              Who knows what my next experiment will be?!
              Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post
                Thank you all for looking and your comments, much appreciated.
                Who knows what my next experiment will be?!
                Rose
                If you like experimenting rose I HIGHLY recommend this book.

Accelerate your learning and enhance your EOS photography with our unique and carefully curated collection of resources and accessories for your Canon camera, all handpicked by the EOS magazine team.

Screenshot_20231104-163948.png

It's a really interesting book and helps you think outside the norms of photography, I'm slowly working my way through it. I'm currently making a pinhole lens and camera that the book is helping me with.

​​​​​​​Actually what you've done with the long exposures in the car is in this book, think it's assignment number 4, so you can tick that one off and continue the other 51.

Comment

I like these....I prefer the ones where the vehicle is not obvious.....interesting, attractive images, best seen as a set.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Fascinating Rose, hate being a passenger so wouldn’t normally be able to try this. But as I am not allowed to drive again until the 20th ( a month of hell for me), I may get an opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                      Fascinating Rose, hate being a passenger so wouldn’t normally be able to try this. But as I am not allowed to drive again until the 20th ( a month of hell for me), I may get an opportunity.
                      Hope thing are going well and no further problems - Take care
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

All well thanks Trev.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post

If you like experimenting rose I HIGHLY recommend this book.

Accelerate your learning and enhance your EOS photography with our unique and carefully curated collection of resources and accessories for your Canon camera, all handpicked by the EOS magazine team.

Screenshot_20231104-163948.png

It's a really interesting book and helps you think outside the norms of photography, I'm slowly working my way through it. I'm currently making a pinhole lens and camera that the book is helping me with.

Actually what you've done with the long exposures in the car is in this book, think it's assignment number 4, so you can tick that one off and continue the other 51.
                          Thank you Nathan, that is very helpful. Christmas is fast approaching so the book is going to make it onto my Christmas wish list.
                          ​​​​​​​Rose

Comment

Love these. Like Brian, I like the ones with no cars the best. Its not immediately obvious what the images are unless you see the cars etc. 1 & 4 for me. They look like something you’d see in an arty hotel – that’s a compliment BTW
                            Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Working...
                            X