Making sparks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making sparks.

These are from little over a year ago now, but never got round to doing anything with them.

A group of us went out to a local river to test out some long exposure wire wool spinning. It was great fun, something which I will definitely do again in a different location.

We chose a river area for this just for safety alone as we didn't want to be doing this near any grass or dry material that could easily ignite. And under the bridge allowed for the sparks to bounce off the wall.

I'd recommend anybody to give this a go if you're into creating something unique.

The last image was me just messing around with the white balance in Lightroom. My apologies if the image quality appears low. On my phone they're sharp but when I upload from my phone, the images appear low quality when viewed on the phone screen through the forum, but not on Lightroom or my phone gallery. (It never used to on my old phone) I've also had to compress the file a bit as they are around 10-15mb each at fill size

IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1387.jpg IMG_1391.jpg IMG_1394.jpg

These are really nice shots. In MHO I think the image quality is good too.

Comment

I think that dramatic is the only word to describe those!
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

These look rather good - think you nailed the technique.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

They have come out well, looks like you had a lot of fun

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Not my thing Nat but very affective
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Nice set, very impressive.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback!
                It really was a lot of fun to do, certainly a good experience. Had a couple of mishaps (burnt my hat and signed my jacket a little bit) but apart from that nothing serious. I think all in it cost around £10 in equipment from B&Q, so not expensive at all.

​​​​​​I did learn though that I need a mixture of different grades of steel wool next time as the really fine stuff burns out quiet quickly but the really course stuff just glows orange and doesn't really throw a lot of sparks out. So maybe a combination of both? My favourite out of the 4 is the second one, I like the "rodeo style" of the sparks overhead. I'd definitely try different techniques for spinning next time and a different location. I really want to do this at the end of a jetty with an open lake behind me and try and get more water reflecting what's going on.

Comment

Nice photos

Comment

All photos look really nice.
                    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
                    X