Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

An interesting development http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6841380.ece.

"""However, the boat’s most unusual feature is perhaps the anti-paparazzi “shield”.

Infrared lasers detect the electronic light sensors in nearby cameras, known as charge-coupled devices. When the system detects such a device, it fires a focused beam of light at the camera, disrupting its ability to record a digital image.

The beams can also be activated manually by security guards if they spot a photographer loitering.

"""
    A bit early for an April Fool!!

Re: Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

Geez! Can't someone zap Abramovich?

Comment

Yes; I read that article - and although intrigued by the development - I also initially thought - serves 'em right! I have no time for the "paparazzi" style of "journalism"!

But then, on a serious note; will it also intefere with quite innocent by-standers who are simply attempting to take their holiday snaps and enjoy themselves?

Or; what about the serious photographer who just might happen to be in the locale? Will he/she have any come-back for ruined images?

Moving on - if it works for Abramovich, how soon before the technology is widespread?

All public buildings "protected" by it, or defence establishments... I can see it getting out-of-hand relatively quickly; deployed by governments in the cause of "security"!
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
        Moving on - if it works for Abramovich, how soon before the technology is widespread?

All public buildings "protected" by it, or defence establishments... I can see it getting out-of-hand relatively quickly; deployed by governments in the cause of "security"!
        Fear not. It only works on Noikons. Canons are exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
          Fear not. It only works on Noikons. Canons are exempt.
          We should be so lucky!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

It sounds very science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
              It sounds very science fiction.
              Has the definite air about it of "science-fact" ! With all the other new high-tech toys he'll have on-board, this development wouldn't surprise me at all - and I'm a cynical sod normally!

If he's pulling a flanker, he's done well... A quick Google shows just how far this story has already spread.

The yacht is due for delivery Dec 22 - so I guess we'll know by the year-end if it works... You can bet there will be a number of paprazzi out to test it - while he's enjoying his Xmas break!
              Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 21-09-2009, 11:38.

Comment

Does it work against pirates as well as photographers? If it does he might be able to make a quick buck.
                Dave

Comment

His system is getting into weapons technology and trying to do it effectively is almost impossible and very easy to decoy. It relies on detecting 'something' so even if it was totally effective, all they need to do is go back to film with manual focus. My guess is that the system is a lot more basic than the article suggests. I think it will detect IR from the camera, then point a light source in that direction. If it is a laser, it will have to be relatively hight power and I wonder about the legality of it...and the possibility of it illuminating commercial or more amusingly...military aircraft.
                  If the system is automatic, a high power decoy source pointing at the boat from a different angle would lock up the system allowing the photographer to take a picture. Several photographers would just confuse the system. If you set a camera to manual focus and prefocussed, then quickly point and shoot, the system could not respond quickly enough.There would be many ways to fool such a system.

Comment

Fear not. It only works on Noikons. Canons are exempt
                    Given that the previous note refers Charged Coupled Devices (CCD'S) which the earlier Nikons used, and Canons use CMOS sensors, Rob is correct. ;-)

Martin

Comment

That would be like the Police using a speed gun that only worked on BMWs...... anyway the image sensor is behind the shutter until the picture is taken.

Comment

My guess is the yacht is always emitting vast amount of Infrared Light, which the human eye can't see but the camera can. That would mean ANY camera could see it and be blinded by it.

Comment

Many digital cameras have IR filters, which is why they can't be used for IR photography.

According to the very limited information, the system uses an IR laser to scan for cameras """
                          Infrared lasers detect the electronic light sensors in nearby cameras, known as charge-coupled devices. When the system detects such a device, it fires a focused beam of light at the camera, disrupting its ability to record a digital image. """

...so my guess (pure speculation, because I don't think the technology exists) is a scanning laser looks for a return signal from the focusing/metering CCD. There must be some change in the return signal which is unique to CCD devices.....then the system shines a bright light (says it is focused, so just white light) in the direction of the camera. The drawback is that the light source has to be steered and it can only be shone in one direction at a time...If they have developed something to detect a camera, it's more likely it will just set of an alarm on the boat so people will go inside so no photo opportunity.
                          Another far fetched possibility is that a scanning laser gets a reflection from the image sensor when the shutter opens, this reflection would have a profile determined by the shutter speed. remember a focal plane shutter only exposes a small part of the sensor at a time..above a certain speed, This profile is analysed and differentiates between a sensor reflection and any other object.... when detected, a powerful flash is fired, so part of the image would be white. The processing power to do all that would be significant, however, if you can afford to throw enough money at a problem, someone will come up with an answer.
                          I suspect it's something a lot more simpe and won't be very effective.

Comment

I think the technology may be based on systems used to detect snipers using scopes

"""Since Sarajevo's sadly famous events (sniper alley), the military tried and hoped to detect snipers before they hit. The principle of the detection is based on the 'cat's eyes' effect according to which the light emitted by the system and incident on the sniper's sight reflects backward in the direction of the source."""

Comment

Originally posted by sandyn111 View Post
                              An interesting development http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6841380.ece.

"""However, the boat’s most unusual feature is perhaps the anti-paparazzi “shield”.

Infrared lasers detect the electronic light sensors in nearby cameras
                              I wonder how many CCDs the technology is expected to handle at one go? I can see a papparazzi cooperative combining forces to outnumber the lasers, firing on the count of three and then pooling the images that are successful!

Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X