Spoon Full of Sugar - Ring flash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoon Full of Sugar - Ring flash.

My Yongnuo Ring Flash arrived today. So I had a play.

Lately the camera doesn't seem to have spent much time out of the bag. Every time I say ... I'm going snapping ... something else crops up.

So... even though its not what I wanted to try it out on... at least the camera came out of the bag and I gave it a go.

Ring flash seems to be well put together and seems to be solid on the camera mount and on front of the lens. Not so heavy that it feels like your "balance" is wrong. (If you know what I mean.)

I used manual settings. Making one side of the ring fire more brighter than the other. You can do this in ETTL from what I can see on the flash screen. Played around with camera settings aswell.

Deleted a hell of a lot. mojo lost. but hey ho... I supposed it would have helped it I'd read the instruction manual. But here's the thing, it was either read the manual or have a play.. no time for both.

Hopefully I will get better.

Processed in GNU for colour popping then pushed back into Infraview for border and altalux effect.

Feel free to say: Yes. No, or ahhhh my eyes my eyes...

Spoon Full of SugarIMG_2314
    Camera Canon EOS 500D
    Canon EF 50mm macro lens.
    Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Focal Length 50 mm
    ISO Speed 400
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Yongnuo Ring Flash - Manual setting.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Spoon Full of Sugar - Ring flash.

Di, apart from the reflection on the spoon catching my attention too much. Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Di, It's good to play, first of all to make sure the flash operates and fits the camera but... the next stage is to read the manual whilst having the flash and camera in front of you. After that you then need to make time to practice which, will probably be the difficult part
      Ring flashes do give harsh light and are none too easy to difuse as well. In the image the highlight on the sugar bowl and work surface, a bounce back from the spoon handle and something else I suspect?, makes to draw my eyes to them. Just a smidgen of an anti clock rotation would help. Good first try though
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That worked well Di, and must give you a nice warm feeling that the buy was very worthwhile.

Into the world of ring-flash macro you go!!

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Well done Di, hope you like the YN14.

Bill.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Di

Tom

Comment

A good start

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Well done Di, these are not the easiest of things to master but for a first attempt you have done very well, keep them coming.

Comment

Working...
                X