Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
      Yes but somehow 10 out of 10 sounds better than 20 out of 20
      So a well done to you Colin
      Yes I agreee with David

Comment

Re: Don't you just love judges

Originally posted by crunch View Post
        Well tonight I got 2 15's and a 17 I'm quite impressed
        Apparently I would have got more marks for the birds if I printed them slightly smaller. The only trouble I have with that is I buy pre-cut mats with standard apertures, think I'm going to have to start cutting my own.
        Well done Chris.

I started by buying pre-cut mounts but then found I was having a lot of difficulty in getting the exact crop I wanted so I invested in a mount cutting kit and now always cut my own mounts. Over a period of time (about a year) I have recovered the cost of the mount cutting kit as the blank mount material is cheaper for me to buy than the pre-cut mounts.

Comment

Good point from Ian regarding the crop size.

By definition, we tend to crop to paper sizes, A4, A3 etc. when that may not necessarily be best for the shot. I tend to use the crop tool without any sizes in the box, crop it to suit the picture and worry about size later.

Inevitably, that takes it out of the standard sizes, so you have to cut your own mounts ............... which is no bad thing.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks Ian and Colin, I'm definitely going to invest in a mount cutting kit.
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

I'm definitely going to invest in a mount cutting kit.
              Great idea, but a word of caution.

Me being me went for one of the biggest mount cutter sets available, on the basis that it would cope with anything I possibly could need to do. It was too big and too inconvenient, so eventually, I acknowledged my mistake and bought a Logon 301S. It does everything I want, is quick to set up and very convenient to use.

Buy lots of extra blades. I generally cut 2 or 3 mounts at a time and will use one side of the blade, turn it over for the next session and change the blade on the following session. A smooth confident motion and sharp blades are the secret to success with mount cutting.
              Colin

Comment

Thanks for the caution Colin, just been looking and there is a wall mounted one that I was tempted with but like you say it's too big and would I really need it. I will have a look at the Logon 301s.
                Chris
                Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

For what it is worth I purchased the Logan 350-1 cutter and as with Colin I get about 6 mounts per blade.

Comment

Originally posted by crunch View Post
                    Thanks for the caution Colin, just been looking and there is a wall mounted one that I was tempted with but like you say it's too big and would I really need it. I will have a look at the Logon 301s.
                    Crunch, Contact a company called DIY Framing in High Wycombe and tell them what you are looking for and why and I am sure they will be able to help you. They ran an evening for my Photography Club last year on how to do framing and what "cutters" you need which was very helpful. They understand what is required for competitions.
                    Last edited by djguk47; 01-03-2013, 17:59. Reason: Cannot spell DIY ! ! ! ! !
                    David

Comment

I will have a look at the Logon 301s.
                      We have had one for 4 years now and can't fault it

Stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X