Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered a SplashArt kit

Another member of the clan here.

Been looking at these pics for some time and have finally decided to give it a go.

Have ordered the SplashArt kit and flash stand and am collecting tomorrow. At the moment I have two flash guns - a 550EX and a Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX. I'll probably invest in another gun at some time soon but these will get me started. I'll probably need to use the ring lite off camera and use it as the master to trigger the 550EX slave (or visa versa). I have an off camera flash lead but triggers may be the way forward in the future.
    Regards ,
    Norman

Re: Just ordered a SplashArt kit

Hi Norman

good luck with the kit.

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Good luck with the kit Norman I look forward to seeing some of you shots soon. If you need help there are folks here such as Stan and Colin who can offer advice

I am hoping that I can get my kit out in the next week or so, just been too busy of late.

Comment

Well done Norman and I look forward to seeing some of your results.
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
          Have ordered the SplashArt kit and flash stand and am collecting tomorrow.
          Hope you enjoy learning how time use it, I have been looking at that kit and really fancy it.
          Reckon I will give in and order it if my own DIY attempts go too badly!
          Andy

Comment

Collected the kit and Joe Dyer spent a good two hours demonstrating the kit and giving lots of hints and tips. I also bought two flash stands. Spending a lot of time reading the on-line stuff this evening and will make a start tomorrow.

I'll need to source a decent sized drip tray but will "commandeer" a baking tray in the short term. I'm guessing I'll need a fairly shallow but largish tray which, Joe Tells me, to spray matt black for the reflection type shots. Anyone got any ideas as to a source? I'll also get a piece of frosted perspex for the background and some sort of container for the standard drip shots with milk etc. He was using a rather nifty martini glass. Because of it's triangular shape it is wide at the top and fairly deep but doesn't hold too much milk.

I'll get some images up for viewing as soon as I can.
            Regards ,
            Norman

Comment

Good luck hope you enjoy playing. Will look forward to the results
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Good luck with your kit!

Look forward to seeing some results.
                Chris
                Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

He was using a rather nifty martini glass.
                  Hmmm, good idea. I can see the benefits of that.

Collected the kit and Joe Dyer spent a good two hours demonstrating the kit and giving lots of hints and tips.
                  You lucky so and so. We had to work it out amongst ourselves and help each other, but I am sure we came up with a few thoughts that Joe hasn't.
                  Colin

Comment

I'll need to source a decent sized drip tray
                    both Colin and I use catering trays, this one for the drip tray and this one slightly larger to catch any overspill

For the perspex I am using an A3 sheet of Opal Acrylic here

Dont forget for your water shots you will need xanthan gum to thicken the water in the top tank and make it more stable ( £2 at Asda, Sainsburys or Tesco) and a drop of rinse aid in the drip tank

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Dont forget for your water shots you will need xanthan gum to thicken the water in the top tank and make it more stable ( £2 at Asda, Sainsburys or Tesco) and a drop of rinse aid in the drip tank

Stan
                      Thanks for this Stan you must have read my mind as I was looking at changing the viscosity of water today.
                      Chris
                      Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        both Colin and I use catering trays, this one for the drip tray and this one slightly larger to catch any overspill

For the perspex I am using an A3 sheet of Opal Acrylic here

Stan
                        Thanks Stan

I've ordered two of the Kabi catering trays direct from the manufacturer, it worked out cheaper than Amazon.

The black KB4 and the black KB2 came to £7.20 including shipping. I've also order the Trent Plastics acrylic sheet from Ebay which, again, worked out cheaper. The 5mm A3 sheet is about £2 cheaper on Ebay including P&P.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
                        Regards ,
                        Norman

Comment

I've ordered two of the Kabi catering trays direct from the manufacturer, it worked out cheaper than Amazon.

The black KB4 and the black KB2 came to £7.20 including shipping. I've also order the Trent Plastics acrylic sheet from Ebay which, again, worked out cheaper. The 5mm A3 sheet is about £2 cheaper on Ebay including P&P.
                          Hi Norman

I see you have decided to go for the black trays, which is fine although i think white would be more flexible but checking your links i see that both trays are only 22mm deep which is fine for the overflow tray but too shallow for the drip tray - the one i suggested and have is 38mm deep.

In respect of the acrylic, you have got the opal frosted acrylic which again is not the same. You need the plain opal acrylic to let as much light through as possible - the frosted is going to restrict the light and also wont give you a nice smooth background

Thanks for this Stan you must have read my mind as I was looking at changing the viscosity of water today.
                          Cheers Chris - you might also be interested in the "recipe" mix, which i use and got from a chap on another forum -

1 level teaspoon of gum mixed with 6 cups of water - use , preferably an electric whisk to mix for about 5 minutes to get rid of all the lumps and then put the mixture through a seive and leave in fridge till ready to use. You then use this mix in a ratio of 1 part mix to 3 parts water for the top tank

Stan
                          Last edited by Stan; 26-01-2014, 09:48.

flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. I'll try what I've ordered and let you know. Not a massive amount of money if I have to replace a couple of items.

Here's today's 1st stab. Plain milk (blue top) 1/200 f25, Sigma 105mm macro. I used 2 flashes on 1/128 power just out of frame.

_K4_3758.jpg

Could probably do with a bit more depth of focus. I was recommended to use full fat jersey milk but couldn't get any. I've added some single cream but not sure of proportions of milk to cream.
                            Regards ,
                            Norman

Comment

Well that looks damned good to me for a first attempt.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X