Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma - 5D MKII

Morning guys, need a bit of advice.

I've been upgrading kit recently and have added the 70-200 mk2 IS, a mk3 1.4 extender and I've really noticed the difference in image quality using the mk2 lens.

I have now been offered a Canon 5D MKii for a really good price and I'm tempted to use it as second body. Will it be any good for sports? (As apart from the odd family wedding that's all I shoot). Any advice appreciated as always
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Dilemma - 5D MKII

Honest answer is probably not the best as AF is a bit slow and the drive at 3.n fps is very slow - certainly not a patch on the speed of your 7D. Personally my 5 is solely aimed at landscapes, which don't tend to move that quickly (!!) and the 1D at my wildlife etc photography - probably the biggest giveaway is if you look at the legions of pro sports photographers at any major event and I would hazard a guess that not one of them uses the 5D Mk2! Great camera though

Comment

All I can add is the 5D MK II is a great camera, I've borrowed one for a weekend and used it for sport.Not the quickest when it comes to F.P.Sec and not too many focus points to choose from,but image quality goes up a notch and upping the ISO to keep those shutter speeds up helps without loosing to much in image quality.Not a camera i would choose 1st for sport but it's one i would like in my camera bag as a second camera if i had the cash.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks guys, I know the 1D Mk IV would be the one ideally but its big bucks and I've been offered a Canon Refub'd 5d MKII for £1200 with a 12 month warranty. Thing is I dont want to buy it for the sake of it and I know Canon have a few big releases due
        Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Hmm - that's not that much of a saving is it? And personally I don't pay that much attention to what Canon are doing next - unless it means that the prices of their current offerings come down of course!!!

Comment

Very true, I think I should listen to my head (and you two) and maybe pass on the 5D for the time being
            Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Counter argument of course is that the IQ is substantially better than the 7D ( a camera I hated I'm afraid to say) so for that reason - no no no, listen to your head!!

Comment

If you are primarily interested in sport then the 7D is the one to look at. As used prices are between 800-900 from a dealer you could pocket the othe 300+ towards a good lens
                ef-r

Comment

Hi Mike, I shoot mainly Classic/Historic Motorsport and use both a 7D, for the action stuff, and a 5D MKII, for static/in-car shots. As said the 5D autofocus is not the quickest, but its full frame so great for wide angle shots when you run out of room or are pushing and shoving with the other snappers.
                  Last edited by RogerDixon; 01-02-2012, 17:52.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    If you are primarily interested in sport then the 7D is the one to look at. As used prices are between 800-900 from a dealer you could pocket the othe 300+ towards a good lens
                    I think Brian is spot on ( as usual) here. If you want to do sport 7D is the way forward. Bring on the cricket season I say, except this year Im playing more than watching!

Comment

Thanks for your advice everyone, much appreciated. I'm now tempted to wait for the 1DX and see if there are any reasonably priced 1DIV's kicking about
                      Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bexman View Post
                        I'm now tempted to wait for the 1DX and see if there are any reasonably priced 1DIV's kicking about
                        1Dx promised for March. In October, March seemed such a long time away ....................... now I can almost touch it.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Will you be attending Focus On Imaging to see it unveiled Colin?
                          Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Just a spanner in the work`s lads have any of you photograph`d sport in the Pre- PowerWinder / MotorDrive & Aouto-focus days that is slow.
                            I have used the 5D for sport and what i found was, is to lock on to your sbject early for the A1 SERVO system to act.
                            Last edited by F.S.P.; 02-02-2012, 16:35.
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                            Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                            Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

How about a 1D Mk III Second hand,Great for motor sport, Same price as the 5D II
                              1D MK IV And numerous lenses. Plus an empty wallet.

Comment

Working...
                              X