Thundersport - Brands Hatch 03-03-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thundersport - Brands Hatch 03-03-12

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around for a little while. As David has previously mentioned, we've both stopped smoking and lost our mojos a little bit.
    To try and boost this (in other words, give ourselves a kick up the backside) we decided to go to Thundersport at Brands Hatch on Saturday.

It's the first time I've tried any kind of motor sport with this camera and my 200mm f2.8 prime with a 1.4 mk III extender so there was a bit of trial and error in the settings. It's also the first time that I've really tried to 'shoot' through the fence. Here are a few of my favourite photos of the day and once again, all comments and advice are welcomed.

Cory

Re: Thundersport - Brands Hatch 03-03-12

The blur in the background of 345 really give a sense of speed.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I agree with DeeGee 3,4,5 the blur gives them motion. A great set of images.
      www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

They are all nice and sharp which is no mean feat when panning through a fence. The composition on 2, 3 and 4 is a bit tight, if you have some, you really need some room in front of each for them to move into

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Hi Cory
          Great Attempt and you have a good technique for Panning (shown in 3,4,5,)Much better than your other Half,just don't tell him i said that

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
            Hi Cory
            Great Attempt and you have a good technique for Panning (shown in 3,4,5,)Much better than your other Half,just don't tell him i said that

Paul
            OI. . . . watch it you, granted there not bad for a 'girl' (I am SO going to pay for that!!) but I guess a bit of healthy competition is good for the soul. . . . .

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
              The blur in the background of 345 really give a sense of speed.
              really great set of images
              regards
              Donald

Comment

Thanks for the great comments guys (and yes David, you will pay for that one!!)

With regards to the close cropping, one of the more challenging things I find with photographing motor sport is gauging the perfect moment to take the picture when using the prime lens. I found that I had quite a narrow window of opportunity where I was stood and although this gave me some great images, they really filled the frame and didn't leave much room for manoeuvring.

I will try to do better in future though

Cory

Comment

Great motorsport images and they got better.

Some photographers understand the rythm of panning and take to it easily, whilst others will never quite get there, nomatter how much effort they apply. You got it first time out, so well done.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X