Belgium Grand Prix 2012 - Camera Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belgium Grand Prix 2012 - Camera Advice

I'm off to Belgium in September for the Grand Prix for my best mates stag do. Because of the 'nature of the occasion' I'm reluctant to take my SLR and lenses. So I'm thinking of getting a decent compact, am I going to be disappointed with something like a Canon G11 or maybe G12?

My other thought was a bridge but I want the manual control of it to pan etc..

Any thoughts/experience with G11's/other ideas?
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Belgium Grand Prix 2012 - Camera Advice

Hi Mike

Sorry cant help with the camera as have no experience of the cameras mentioned - just in case you haven't been to the GP at Spa before, you must (I repeat) must, stand at the foot of Eau Rouge and look up, it's a stunning view and a lot steeper than you think

Have a great time

Nick (ever so slightly jealous!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Green View Post
      Hi Mike

Sorry cant help with the camera as have no experience of the cameras mentioned - just in case you haven't been to the GP at Spa before, you must (I repeat) must, stand at the foot of Eau Rouge and look up, it's a stunning view and a lot steeper than you think

Have a great time

Nick (ever so slightly jealous!!!)
      Thanks very much Nick, never been before and really wish I could take the SLR too! Cheers for the tip on Eau Rouge
      Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Based on my experience with a G10 I think you'll not be close enough to get descent shots. So rather than spending £500 on a G series (if that's what you are thinking?) buy some Armour for your 7D and lens. Whilst I rarely take my best kit (7D) up mountains I do take the 40D which wears body armour.

Comment

G series cameras are marvellous in their own right, but they just don't have the reach for reasonable motorsport shots.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

It might be worth taking your SLR kit, but make sure that you have REAL insurance in place, just in case.
            M

Comment

Friends of mine visited the Belgian grand prix last year. They wre camping and still went loaded up with canon and Nikon dslr s and long lenses .They got great results but this was thanks to their having decent tele lenses and cameras and I would say take your best gear for the best results.
              I seem to recall they locked the gear in the car overnight.

The images they shot were taken from mainly two points on the track, one where the elevated banking on which spectators stand allows for images being taken over the fence as cars pass and the other where there are actual photographer slots cut in the barriers. Where lenses can be poked through. These are obviously busy.

If you haven't got it already why not take out camera insurance for that extra peace of mind?

Regards

Comment

Thanks all we're going via coach/plane and I didnt fancy leaving the gear in a hotel room. But I will look into specific insurance and another thought is maybe renting equipment for the weekend with insurance.

General consensus seems that its an occasion where I'm going to have to take decent kit to get decent results!
                Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Just Take your gear, you'll regret not taking it once your there.

(Come on you Blue birds, No sorry i mean Come on you red Dragons)

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                    Just Take your gear, you'll regret not taking it once your there.

(Come on you Blue birds, No sorry i mean Come on you red Dragons)

Paul
                    Ah thats a sore subject here Paul. I think sold out is the term being used but it does appear that we do in fact depend on these guys to keep the club afloat. Besides whenever I photographed a match where the away team were in Red the shots always looked much better, so I keep telling myself that my shots will look better with red shirts! Every cloud
                    Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

We went last year. You will need your gear if you want get good pics. We found that vantage points were not that good and you are a long way from the track in most cases.
                      Enjoyed it even sat in the rain for 3/4 hours
                      Ray

Comment

Thanks, think I might just hire a 100-400 push pull jobby and get some decent waterproof covers
                        Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X