British Jetski Championship in Doncaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Jetski Championship in Doncaster

Not ever having been to watch jetski racing I thought i'd go to this event at Lakeside in Doncaster. The day was quite dull and blustry wind. The practice sessions were great to watch and take some shots of. Admission was free so that was a bonus. If you get the chance to go and watch - do

WDYT

Andre

Re: British Jetski Championship in Doncaster

Great detail and great action. I like these alot

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun with plenty of action to be had.
      Are these images big crops as some of the riders aren't so sharp, this could be the reason why,also was you using a x2 extender too achieve 600mm.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
        Looks like a lot of fun with plenty of action to be had.
        Are these images big crops as some of the riders aren't so sharp, this could be the reason why,also was you using a x2 extender too achieve 600mm.

Paul
        Interesting Paul..Im not finding them particularly sharp either, but maybe thats the sea-spray

Comment

Thanks for replying. I have just bought the x2 mk3 converter and am still getting used to it. I'm finding that it can produce soft images. I've been using it on motorbike racing with the same comments about softness. The 300mm ones are OK.

The posted shots are all full frame. You can get that close that you need waterproof gear.

thanks for the comments

Andre

Comment

Let's not be too quick to point the finger at the 2x yet. I am not the greatest fan of 2x extenders, but all of my disappointments have been taken in poor light when I was asking too much of it.

Look at the above shots and the 300mm ones were taken at 1/3200 sec. Plenty fast enough to freeze the action of this very fast watersport. Look at the 2x shots and they were taken 1/800 sec and 1/1000 sec. I suspect that upping the ISO a tad more to improve the shutter speed would have helped. I regularly use ISO 800 and ISO 1600 for birds in flight and sometimes higher than that. The 1D MKIV can easily cope with that without dropping quality.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Let's not be too quick to point the finger at the 2x yet. I am not the greatest fan of 2x extenders, but all of my disappointments have been taken in poor light when I was asking too much of it.
              I wasn't really attaching the problem to the extender,(thought more likely a big crop, but no) as you know i use x2 ext for cricket and have no problems with the image Quality,Looking closer at the images it could be just down to the selected focus area, as the front of the jet skies look quite sharp it,s when you get to the riders that things look a little soft.With big lenses you don't have much depth of field so focusing has to be right.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks for the info Colin and Paul. I agree that I should have upped the iso - i'll put it down to experience.

I'll take on board both of your comments and strive to improve next time i'm out with both items

Andre

Comment

Thanks for the info Colin and Paul. I agree that I should have upped the iso - i'll put it down to experience.

I'll take on board both of your comments and strive to improve next time i'm out with both items

Andre

Comment

I like these, and no complaints from me on the softness of the images, on my mac they seem fine. But I tend to look at action shots as content rather than quality .

John

Comment

Working...
                    X