A few motocross pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few motocross pics

After i had finished the Triathlon i popped over to the motocross track for an hour, didn't want to miss the sunshine while it was out...:O)

I am becoming more impressed with the EF-S 55-250 IS lens...even though it's a cheap lens it focuses quickly and the images are quite sharp, but i look forward to getting an 'L' lens soon :O)

Junior rider 1/1000 @F5.6 ISO200 109mm

1/1000 @F5 ISO200 79mm

1/1000 @F5 ISO200 79mm

1/200 @F13 ISO200 55mm
    Martin

It is better to have and not need...than to need and not have!

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Re: A few motocross pics

Nice work MX. I like #1 in particular.
    Sounds/Looks like you had a full day!
    Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Nice action and excellent panning on 4. The first three look static due to the use of a high shutter speed - would have been better to try at no more than 1/250

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I like 1 and 3 best, just because the riders a more colourful, therefore more contrast against the sky etc.
        TBH I'd have gone with the high shutter speed on the mid air shots like you've done. :-)

The panning one doesn't work for me because of the ropes and posts, sorry

Trev

Comment

I like #3 the best. The twist of the forks, diagonal composition and enough blur in the wheels to suggest movement make it work well for me.

I would stay with the lower speeds for the sideways panned shots, but stay with higher speeds for the front views. Those bikes move a fair amount within a 1/200 sec exposure, so somewhere between 1/500 to 1/1000 sec would be needed to keep the bike sharp but slill keep some blur within the wheels. It's a judgement call depending where they are on the track and what speed they are acheiving.

In the days of film, you would have to wait a week to see if your judgement call was correct.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Nice set all looking good.

I would stay with the lower speeds for the sideways panned shots, but stay with higher speeds for the front views. Those bikes move a fair amount within a 1/200 sec exposure, so somewhere between 1/500 to 1/1000 sec would be needed to keep the bike sharp but slill keep some blur within the wheels.
            Agree with Colin regarding shutter speeds, as for the post and tape unfortunately at these events the track is covered in them so it's just trying to get a decent position around the course which you've done for most of your shots.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Very nice series of shots
              Tom

Comment

Not managed to get to an off road track yet but these are great, agree with the young Colin that you want to stick with the higher speeds for head on and 3/4 on and slow it down for side on panning. Look forward to your next set

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks all for your constructive comments and compliments......it has taken me a considerable time to be able to produce images like this consistently, ...when i first started two years ago (with mx) I used around 1/250 but coming head on at 40mph they were all blurred...eventually i settled on 1/1000 because of the speed. The hardest shots are the ones where I'm shooting blind as they come over the jump, this is where a fast focussing lens comes in handy...

The panning is a real challenge as well, I've tried as slow as 1/30 but have never managed to get a decent shot so now i shoot between 1/150 and 1/320 depending on the bikers speed and weather....success rate is around 50% but i continue to practice LOL

The obstacles in the foreghround are a nuisnace and i do try to exclusde them from the shots, but one factor is the speed of the bikes and the height they jump....thats why i shoot continuous and may take 5 or 6 shots as they jump, but believe it or not sometimes i still don't get it right LOL

I need to get more imaginative with my compositions!!

Won't be able to go to mx again till the 1st July as this coming Sunday i am assisting at a Pony Show and the following week i'm at the local autograss meeting...I'm Club tog in my fourth year with them....some good action shots to be had from a motorsport that is supposed to be non-contact hehehehe...

@David, if you want to find an mx track near you try this link, they have an excellent search facility but their estimate of distance is a little suspect...:O) You won't regret it...

My only regret is that the track doesn't get the top riders attending, they are a treat to photograph, so i'm told.....

Martin
                  Martin

It is better to have and not need...than to need and not have!

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Comment

Working...
                  X