Wiggle Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiggle Race

I jest not! The Wiggle Dragon Ride! For once an event came to me, right outside my door in fact. I took loads of pics many out of focus and otherwise bodged, but I tried to get a few that captured the spirit of the race. Comments welcome.

Alun

Re: Wiggle Race

I like the determnation on the bloke's face in the first one. Cycle racing is a colourful spectacle, it was handy having one on your doorstep

Alun, you shot all these at quite slow shutter speeds

For example in no3 you were using 1/50 @ 300mm F5.6 ISO 100 in AV mode.
    With those settings shooting bikes coming quickly towards you, you'd be doing very well to get sharp images.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trevor
      Many thanks for looking. I beleive the the answer is, they were not moving that fast!!
      My home is at the base of a monster hill and it was slowing the riders down dramatically. I was caught by surprise by the event and ranout with camera in hand and altered the camera setting accordingly. Many of my later shots possessed a greater degree of clarity etc. However i really wanted to chose pics that i felt displayed the fact that they were racing and many of the pics did not convay this!
      Alun

Comment

I took loads of pics many out of focus and otherwise bodged
        Sorry Alun I was giving suggestions with a view to helping you reduce the number of out of focus and otherwise bodged shots.
        I'd struggle at 1/50 of a sec at 300mm, regardless of how fast they were moving.

If you feel these achieve what you set out to do that's the main thing.

I think I'm going to withdraw from these techie type responses to people's images, most of the time it's unwelcome
        If I like a snap I'll say well done, if not I'll ignore.

Trev
        Last edited by Trevoreast; 14-06-2012, 11:44. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post

I think I'm going to withdraw from these techie type responses to people's images, most of the time it's unwelcome

Trev
          Surely thats what a forum is for - if we all said well done and wow who would learn how to improve their shots. Perhaps if members don't want critique they should say so in their post. Also the MODS could put in a function where we could just click "like" such as on FB (joking) for those that only want praise.......

Please continue to give all the techie comments Trev, I don't post a lot but I do learn a lot from your comments on other peoples photos.

I will post more in time but in the meantime I look forward to your comments which are helping me improve. Thank you for taking such a keen interest.
          Never stop photographing. It is very likely that your best photograph has not yet been captured

http://flic.kr/ps/29Jr1K

Comment

Hi Tartlaghan,

Thx for you kind words. :redface
            I'm not in a sulk with this post or anything Alun has said.

TBH I'm more ticked off with myself jumping to conclusions and making assumptions.
            about the type of feedback people want.

Trev

Comment

Agree with Trev that at such a focal length it's going to be difficult to avoid camera shake shooting at 1/50s. faster shutter speed essential for such shots if you want them tack sharp. may work better in shot #1 where panning requires slower speeds
              regards
              Donald

Comment

Sorry Alun - probably going to get shot down in flames for this but. . . . . Yes they may well show the determination etc that you saw BUT - personally these wouldn't have made it off the card let alone onto the forum.

If you were not asking for critique then you should say so in your original post, but you did ask for comments did you not?

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post

Trev
                  Please don't Trev. Your opinions and expertise are welcome and this Forum would be a poorer place without them. Within that, we must also be mature enough to accept that we can't please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard we strive to do so.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Hi Trevor
                    Firstly I repeat the thank you for looking and bothering to reply! Your comments did make me think and I could well have sat down for longer and framed my reply. I'm going off on holiday shorlty and wanted to thank you before going!!! Instead I only mentioned what I was hoping for. I did consider asking you how you might have set out the camera before starting but did not want to appear to much of a pillock. I did ask for comments so could not possibly be upset.

I actually set the camera on Av because I wanted the surroundings to be out of focus and bring the single rider to the forefront. Unfortunately for me I was focusing I beleive over to great a distance and the single focus point I employed was often not smack on the riders face but their shoulder or chest or even the person alongside them. I did alter my settings afterwards but after cropping I still enjoyed the items I posted.

Communication can be a funny old bird on occassions, I if you understood my reply to be brushing your comments aside, then please accept my apologise as this was not the case, in fact I spent some time afterwards considering how I should have approached the task.
                    How would you have set out to secure these shots? As mentioned I really wanted to reflect the effort and commitment some of these people appeared to be spending and there were too many of them looking as if they were out for a casual bike ride.

AND PLEASE KEEP MAKING COMMENTS. It would be boring if we all said yup good shot mate!!!
                    Alun

Comment

When I look at the photos folk have taken the trouble to upload I firstly try and ascertain what they used (entry level 1000D with kit lens that does 300mm or someone festooned with 1-Series with big primes attached **) … Then an indication of their experience and then the environment in which they took the photos. I would expect a wide range of technical and compositional variance which I factor in. That said I only pass comment if I genuinely like an image or appreciate the difficulty involved in taking it.
                      I guess what folk want when they submit images is an honest appraisal … but if that’s negative then some additional narrative as to why you think negative.
                      ** I’m not saying someone with a 1DX with 600L Mark II is necessarily a better photographer than someone with a G10 … they are just different.

Comment

David After seeing Trevs response I raced to the bottom of the page to assure the guy that I meant only to thank him and explain what I was after. I must admit that i do not understand where I had offended but accept that I had and wanted to assure the guy that I was gratful for his repsonse. I did not read the comments of yourself and others until after I had done this. I was under pressure from family to pack the car and had not considered that my reply would have been seen as ungratful. However I think your last comment really went a tad over board and then some!!!

Chodeva Many thanks mate

Trev please keep giving advice!!
                        Alun

Comment

David After seeing Trevs response I raced to the bottom of the page to assure the guy that I meant only to thank him and explain what I was after. I must admit that i do not understand where I had offended but accept that I had and wanted to assure the guy that I was gratful for his repsonse. I did not read the comments of yourself and others until after I had done this. I was under pressure from family to pack the car and had not considered that my reply would have been seen as ungratful. However I think your last comment really went a tad over board and then some!!!

Chodeva Many thanks mate

Trev please keep giving advice!!
                          Alun

Comment

Err what? not sure how my last comment offended - I have read it several times and . . . . . nope, no offence I can see there.

Ah well - Have a good holiday and hope you get some descent sunshine

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Hello David. Not your exact words exactly but "These would not have made it off the card let alone onto the forum" qualifies as a bit overboard from my view point! That might be criticism but not constructive!

As to sunshine i'm on my w ay to Cornwall(UK)
                              Cheers
                              Alun

Comment

Working...
                              X