Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedway

Speedway season is now over, but I'm a Newport Wasp supporter and take images of the meetings for fans following the sport.

C&C welcome

Regards

Denis

http://www.pbase.com/denis99

Re: Speedway

No comments from anyone? 89 views to date, surely someone must have an opinion ?

Any constructive criticism welcomed.
    Regards

Denis

Comment

Hi Denis

Like your images, the only criticism I would be the flat lighting. Now I know you can only photograph what’s in front of you. So with the conditions as they were good job.
      I had the opportunity this season to visit Wolves at home to the Pirates, great nights sport have attached a couple of shots from that meeting.
      Keep up the good work.

Mac
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Denis99 View Post
        No comments from anyone? 89 views to date, surely someone must have an opinion ?

Any constructive criticism welcomed.
        The only comment I could make would be to suggest getting the bikes more over the the left of the picture so they appear to be driving through the picture rather than driving out.

I think Mac's comments mght be implemented through PS/DPP
        ef-r

Comment

Hi denis
          Your pic's look great you've filled the frame well shutter speed seems right as you get the sence of movement they look good to me well done

paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Hi Denis,
            I just think your photos look good and sharp etc. but do not convey any sense of speed and movement. To me, the bikes look posed and static.
            The wider view taken by Mac gets more of the feel of the event, I think.
            Can't be an easy environment to take pics.

hughbie

Comment

I think they convey some sense of motion, there's a bit of motion blur on the back wheels, and they're defying gravity.
              The pictures look great to me, but I'm no expert.

I went to a speedway event once late last summer, despite getting into the central area I never got my camera out, far too dusty and a bit noisy for me.
              I did appreciate the skill and I could imagine what people like about speedway.

Millie

Comment

Millie
                Take your point on the gravity thing. Think I was drawn a bit too much to the spokes on the front wheels on photo 1, hence my overly harsh comment on motion.

Hughbie

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Its difficult to take this type of shot really,the track photographer will be the only one on the centre green (which allows the panning with flash and a relatively slow shutter speed - to convey the motion blur).

On the outside of the track (where I am), you have to use a relatively fast shutter speed to get the image sharp, or else the image looks too soft. Coupled with the fact that the riders are actually in an arc, but sort of riding towards the camera.

Thanks for the comments, plenty more on my PBase site though.
                  Regards

Denis

Comment

I love the angle you got of the bikes, with the front wheel almost coming straight at you.

Love to see pics of bikes, I've got a few on my flickr account at Cadwell Park linky here, with Superbikes 'getting some air' over The Mountain

Comment

The track I went to was Arlington stadium , the St john’s ambulance were in the centre and a couple of tographers.
                      I spoke to one guy with a 1dmK2n. On the outside there was high wire mesh fences, if it was like that were you were Denis,I’m surprised you managed anything this good..

Hughbie I didn’t read your comments as harsh. :-)

Millie

Comment

Newport is a good track for the racing, and there's no wire mesh fence in the way at all. The spectator area is a little banked allowing good line of sight for viewing and photography.

Really good track for racing and viewing.
                        Regards

Denis

Comment

I like these Denis, the first is spot on in my opinion. As for the second a very good shot, but like Brian says a little more track to the right and at the bottom of the image would have been nice, somewhere for the bikes to move into, not always as easy as it sounds in fast action events.

Not a sport I have done myself, but think you have captured it well in what I would think are difficult shooting positions.

Comment

Here's a grittier shot from the New Year Classic 2010 , held on January 3rd this year.

Very difficult track conditions - but I hope it captures the flying shale aspect - light quality was variable on the day.

Regards

Denis

Comment

Just a fraction more space around the riders for me, otherwise two great shots.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X