Jet Boat Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet Boat Racing

Three from yesterday's JetSprint event. All shots: 1Ds2 400mm at f4 ISO100 -0.3ev tripod and wimberley head. I did try wider apertures to show some blur in the motion, but I was shooting through a fence which became visible at f11 and even f8 so I gave up on the idea. It was a very loud and wet event all taking place in an area not much bigger than a football pitch. Lots of fun.

Dave

Re: Jet Boat Racing

That third shot looks like he's going to have an intimate meeting with a tree!

Colin
    Colin

Comment

They stopped about 20m short of the tree line. Neither of them were injured but the boat wasn't fit to take part in any further heats.
      Dave

Comment

I have watched this on satellite TV. Am I right in recalling that this is primarily a New Zealand sport?

They certainly are furious and spectacular events.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

I've seen them at Gisbourne, amazing things. V8 noise, 130kph down the straight (and there wasn't much of it) and turn on a sixpence.

I love the last shot with the mud being spat out of the impellar, giving a little clue as to how he got where he is.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            I have watched this on satellite TV. Am I right in recalling that this is primarily a New Zealand sport?
            I think it is. The Hamilton Jet was developed here in NZ by Sir William Hamilton as a means of getting boats up shallow narrow rivers. It's caught on in Australia too. No doubt it'll take off wherever you have a bunch of nutters and a puddle of water.
            Dave

Comment

Great set of shots, Dave. Is the co-pilot in the first shot really giving directions ?

Nigel
              My Flickr photostream

Comment

Just to make me look clever ..........Yes.

(Please, please, please back me up Dave!)

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Yes is the correct answer. it's too fast and too noisy to talk, so they point!

The course is typically a channel cut into a field with a series of islands. They're given a course to follow weaving around the islands and the co-driver tells the driver (pilot?) which way to turn next. The water's only a couple of feet deep.

The sport is mainly Aus and NZ, although there are some American crews as well. I think over there they race on open rivers.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

This video shows what happens when the co-pilot gets his/her hand signals wrong.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzKcypnBlA

...and this one shows it being done right! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkjhh9Itrc&NR=1
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X