FIA WEC Spa Francorchamps (alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIA WEC Spa Francorchamps (alternative)

Paul (Fozzy) has already posted his fantastic shots of FP, Qualifying and Race - my collection here is more of a travelog of this amazing circuit - with a few car shots in there for good luck

Enjoy.
    Scott

Announce yourself why don't you ?
    Spa Francorchamps by anderson.council, on Flickr

The legendary Eau Rouge leading on to Raidillon. Taken during FP1 (Friday morning) wet & cold.

Looking down towards Pouhon with the main pits and paddock area in the far distance. This was taken during FP2 (Friday afternoon) which was dry but as you can see very hazy.

Panorama taken from the top of the Brasserie where we had a very nice lunch, under cover between FP1 and FP2. If you take a line vertically upward from the pit lane entrance you'll see a steep grassy bank on the horizon - that's roughly where the previous picture was taken. This shot shows the true scale of this circuit.
    Spa Francorchamps Pano by anderson.council, on Flickr

On to some car shots. All heavily cropped - I don't have a lens that can really do this sort of photography justice.
    Ferrari 458 Italia in AF Corse colours. This was a GTE-AM car.

Porsche 919 Hybrid (LMP1-HY) - Mr Webber's new motor which unfortunately had issues at this race after a strong podium in the previous race at Silverstone.
    Porsche 919 Hybrid late in the race at Spa by anderson.council, on Flickr

Brand spanking new Rebellion R-One (LMP1-P). Rebellion are a pure racing team not a manufacturer and so cannot afford the R&D costs to invest in the Hybrid systems that Porsche, Toyota & Audi can so they race in a class of their own currently as LMP1-P. This was the first outing of this car and the fact it finished with no issues in a 6 hour race is pretty impressive - however they are way off the pace of the LMP1-HY cars.
    Rebellion R-One late in the race at Spa by anderson.council, on Flickr

The Audi R18 etron Quattro that eventually finished in second place. But it is odd to see Audi so off the pace compared to Toyota.
    Audi R18 etron late in the race at Spa by anderson.council, on Flickr

The third placed #7 Toyota TS040 (sister car to the winners). The base power output of this car is somewhere in the region of 500bhp from the engine plus approx. the same again when the Hybrid recovered energy is released. It is mesmerisingly fast and runs on electrical power in the pit-lane. We stood at the end of the pit lane for the start of FP2 and to watch the cars go out. This one just hums as it approaches you and then just as it reaches the end of the speed restricted area the petrol engine fires up in one fluid movement. Fantastic engineering. Also this series helpfully has 3 LEDs on the side of the car in this case all 3 lit up indicates the car is running 3rd in class. 2=2nd and 1=1st. When you forget your headphones or can't keep up with the French/German/Dutch track commentary this helps to keep you up to date.
    Toyota TS040 late in the race at Spa by anderson.council, on Flickr

The LMP1 podium. Bit confusing as Rebellion were awarded 1st their class (of 1 team) on the same podium.

LMP1-P 1st. Nick Heidfeld, Mathias Beche (hidden), Nicolas Prost (could he look any more like his Dad from the 80s?) (Rebellion #12)
    LMP1-HY
    2nd - Loic Duval, Lucas di Grassi, Tom Kristensen (Audi #1)
    1st - Sebastien Buemi, (unkown team member), Anthony Davidson, Nicolas Lapierre (hidden) (Toyota #8)
    3rd - Alex Wurz, Stephane Sarrazin, Kazuki Nakajima (Toyota #7).

Presentation by Jochen Mass. What a podium.

FIA WEC Spa 2014 - LMP1 Podium by anderson.council, on Flickr
    Last edited by anderson.council; 10-05-2014, 17:21.
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: FIA WEC Spa Francorchamps (alternative)

Very nice set. A well documented race coverage.

Tom

Comment

Some nice shot in there anderson.council Eau Rouge , Audi R18 etron and Toyota TS040 are my favorites

Comment

Superb set Scott, really well documented, gives someone who's never been a real sense of scale of the place, nice one.

Paul.

1Dx, 400 f/2.8 ef 70-200 f/2.8 ef 15mm f/2.8 ef 24-70 f/2.8 mk1 1.4x 2x
        www.flickr.com/photos/fozzyimages/[/url] Website www.fozzyimages.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Tom, Dan & Paul - appreciate your comments.

This was my first visit to Spa and I was just blown away by the whole place. Tom & Dan - the nearest this series comes your way is at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin in late September and I'm sure Paul would back me up here that it is really worth catching.

Scott
          Scott

500px flickr

Comment

A very nice set. I love the 3rd image.
            The nearest I have been to spa is on my Playstation.
            Gary

https://www.facebook.com/motorsportimagesbyghp/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghand_39/

Canon EOS 7D Mk2 EOS 7D EOS 1D Mk III Canon 400 L f5.6 Canon EF 70-200 L f4 Canon EF 24-105 L f4 Canon EF 50 f1.8

Comment

Thanks Gary. Put the playstation away and get over there - you know it makes sense.
              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
              X