Thundersports at Brands Hatch - Saturday AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thundersports at Brands Hatch - Saturday AM

First 'proper' race of the season (only had a few hours in the morning) and need to get my head around the settings on the 1DX for when 'my' season starts, due to the amount of photo's I take over a race weekend and the timeline for getting them to the 'boss' I shoot in jpeg.

I think I need to probably push the saturation up a notch and maybe the onboard sharpness (remember these settings are for jpeg shooting only) Not overly impressed with them but as a start point it will do - (through the fence on these so you may see some artifacts or banding on a couple) normal race set up of the 70-200 mkII and 1.4 mkIII extender, normally trackside so closer to the action hence these being a bit small in the frame. Opinions please:

#1 1/250, f/7.1, iso 100, 280mm - on the edge

#2 1/500, f/5.6, iso 100, 280mm - see what I mean about saturation, reds need a little 'boost'

#3 1/160, f/11, iso 100, 280mm

#4 1/320, f/8, iso 100, 280mm - yes I know too fast but that wasn't why I was there - Gravity doesn't work like that!

Few more HERE

Thanks for looking

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Thundersports at Brands Hatch - Saturday AM

Nice Series David.

Tom

Comment

Look good to me too, how you finding the 1Dx I love mine, though not had a 1 body to compare too before. Are you looking at the new 100-400 II? as that is supposed to be a cracking sports lens from the reviews iv'e seen.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

#2 is a great shot, but they are all nice

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
          Look good to me too, how you finding the 1Dx I love mine, though not had a 1 body to compare too before. Are you looking at the new 100-400 II? as that is supposed to be a cracking sports lens from the reviews iv'e seen.
          Thanks guys.

TonyT: to be honest I'm not sure in the 'real world usage' it's much better than my old 1D mkIV - only reason I stuck with the 1 series it's weather sealing, being track side I have been caught out in some truly horrendous downpours and they just keep shooting.

As for the 100-400 . . . . not really, the 70-200 with extender gets me more than close enough 'work wise' and can always fall back on the 300 with extenders in I really need to.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks David,

You are probably well past these, but are you aware Canon have produced 18 clips that you can download onto a compact flash and then can watch / access them on your camera, they are handy as a refresher or quick reference.... Linkie here

Explore the Canon Digital Learning Center to find everything ranging from buying guides to training courses.
            Last edited by TonyT; 09-03-2015, 22:11.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
            X