Rainy City Rollergirls V London Rockin Rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainy City Rollergirls V London Rockin Rollers

A real roller derby grudge match over the weekend, Rainy City Rollergirls V London Rockin Rollers. Very fast action and some rather big hits. Still learning about indoor shooting and at the moment using a camera mounted speedlight. I think I'm getting a little better with the flash, but keep looking at the OCF shots posted on a USA forum and think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some triggers and another speedlight

Last edited by Mark; 16-05-2011, 20:51.

Re: Rainy City Rollergirls V London Rockin Rollers

I like them all a great set of images..some scary looking girls.

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

What great action.... warpaint and tatoos a perfect mix for these "ladies" of the track... keep em coming Mark... your task now is to catch one of the huge blocks they put in and the grimace on the face of the person receiving the block...

David
      David

Comment

I saw this on TV ... also with girls in strange clohting en fighting in the turns to get over the finish.
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Cheers for the comments guys.

I was looking for a new and different sport for me to shoot, and this is certainly different, but really fun too.

Comment

Some excellent action captured Mark
            some scary looking girls.
            wouldn't want to run into any of them on a dark night.....or even a light one

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Mark - why do you need triggers? Indoors the Canon Wireless works fine. Cheap triggers means manual flash which is not going to be easy at all in a dynamic situation. To get eTTL you will have to get something like pocket wizards at £500 for a pair.

A secondhand 580EX or 550EX will work well as the master and cost £200 or less and you wont have to buy another speedlight
              Last edited by briansquibb; 17-05-2011, 12:39.
              ef-r

Comment

Good set Mark,

#2 very striking image and sits nicely in the frame with no other distractions.As for lighting they seem to be well exposed Do you shoot in Manual when using the flash !

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Brian I'm not to sure how Canon Wireless system would cope , as even though indoors I would want at least 2 OCF and they would not both be in-line of sight to the camera.

Paul, yes I shot these all in Manual and the flash set in manual too, these where done at 1/8 power on a 580EX II

The EXIF data is included and there all the same apart from shot #2 which is at ISO 800

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
                  EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
                  Focal Length: 140mm
                  Aperture: f/4.0
                  Exposure Time: 0.0033 s (1/300)
                  ISO equiv: 1250
                  Exposure Bias: none
                  Metering Mode: Matrix
                  Exposure: Manual
                  Exposure Mode: Manual
                  White Balance: Manual
                  Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)

I know I could have just whacked the ISO right up and shot with-out flash, but I did want the background slightly darker than subject., in fact I'd like it a bit darker than it has turned out really.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    Brian I'm not to sure how Canon Wireless system would cope , as even though indoors I would want at least 2 OCF and they would not both be in-line of sight to the camera.
                    How would you set them up?

You will need to run wireless to avoid other cameras setting off your OCF flash - so if the Canon Wireless doesn't work then you will be into pocket wizzards.

Indoors I have found that I can set off my 580EX when it is behind the ST-E2 - which is very useful when doing portraits with big umbrellas
                    ef-r

Comment

I was think along the line of the Cactus V5 or 603s triggers, certain not spending the amount needed for Pocket Wizards (unless a loto win )

I've just been on the Derby PhotoTogs group I'm in to check lighting positions and thinking about it, I could go ST-E2 if it works behind the camera in-doors, this is in a sports hall sized venue with green walls, and one side being spectators. Every one in the group who shoots OCF is using triggers (most PWs ) The only thing with ST-E2 is you need canon speedlights if using other triggers and shooting manual flash you can get away with MUCH cheaper flash units.

Comment

I got all my 580EX's for under £200. A lot of bang for the buck. The Nissin Di-866 is wireless compatible

Using eTTL for these dynamic shots gives more reliable IQ than guessing with manual

I would check the ST-E2 works in the hall first - I suspect it needs reflections bounced around. The benefit of the ST-E2/Master approach is that you can dynamically change the ratios of the flash so that one channel flashes brighter than the other
                        Last edited by briansquibb; 17-05-2011, 21:36.
                        ef-r

Comment

Working...
                        X