Airborne at Goodwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne at Goodwood

An excellent long and tiring day at Goodwood Festival of Speed and a venue we will return to again next year. Here's the first shot processed a john cooper works mini coming over the jump on the forest rally stage. Quite difficult lighting conditions in the forest not to mention people with their point and shoots leaning right over the fence in front of you although this one had no distractions and is full flrame
    WDYT

7D, 70-200 f2.8 @ 150mm, 1/200, f5, ISO 400

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Airborne at Goodwood

Hi Stan, I am pleased that you had a good day on Saturday, on Friday the light was very bright and more contrasty, a constant battle to stop the white paint and chalk burning out. That WRC mini did a lot of runs on Friday, mostly flat out so was perhaps the hardest car to capture well.
    Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Lovely shot mate.

Glenn

Comment

Hi Keith and Glenn
        thanks for looking.
        a constant battle to stop the white paint and chalk burning out
        I had much the same problems particularly in the afternoon on the hill climb when the sun had moved round. I think next time we will be better off staying put and shooting all the hill climb in the morning and then moving to the forest for the afternoon

Stan

flickr

Comment

Thats what makes a photographer and not a guy with a camera, the ability to work with the situation he is given and produce the goods, and you clearly have.

Keep it up

Glenn

Comment

A couple more. Both at 1/160
            WDYT

Stan

mini cooper s

renault twingo

flickr

Comment

Hi Stan

Great shots & thanks for sharing. Especially like the original Mini Cooper S, what a great rally car! Would like to do some rally photography sometime - currently have done mainly track racing at Brands Hatch & F1 recently in Canada (will up load some soon!)

Any more good ones please share!

Regards

Nick

Comment

Hi Stan,

Very nice shot of the new style Mini, really well captured before it lands!!!

Goodwood is somewhere I have always wanted to go to, especially the Revival meeting but never seemed to get round to it, plus it is a good way from deepest Lincolnshire, but one day!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks Nick and Paul
                  Any more good ones please share!
                  there are a few more on our website and i am currently working on the supercars and then the motorcycles
                  Goodwood is somewhere I have always wanted to go to, especially the Revival meeting but never seemed to get round to it, plus it is a good way from deepest Lincolnshire, but one day!!!
                  We have been meaning to go for about 3 years but always seemed to have something else arranged. Now we've had our first taste we will def be going back next year

Stan
                  Last edited by Stan; 04-07-2011, 21:13.

flickr

Comment

Great shots especially the Mini's - my fav car ever....when are you going to start giving masterclasses - sign me up for the first one :)

Joanne
                    To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Stan

By shooting at 1/160 you would expect to get some real panning/blur effect. Unfortunately the cars look soft, I suspect from the vertical movement so I would have gone for a faster shutter speed - when a car is airborne the brain interprets that as motion. Just my opinion.

Brian
                      ef-r

Comment

Thanks Joanne
                        By shooting at 1/160 you would expect to get some real panning/blur effect. Unfortunately the cars look soft, I suspect from the vertical movement so I would have gone for a faster shutter speed - when a car is airborne the brain interprets that as motion
                        Brian, the cars are all more or less coming towards me so very little panning involved and whilst I would agree that the twingo is a little soft, look at the number plate, the others are not, at that angle you are not going to get total front to back sharpness anyway. Regarding the shutter speed, as i mentioned in another thread, slow is the way to go to get some blur on the wheels to convey the sense of movement - tips picked up on the forums from motorsport shooters much more experienced than myself. Shooting aircraft is similar, anything with a prop, slow speed to convey movement

Stan

flickr

Comment

I hear what you say and have seen that advice - however they also get pin sharp bodywork as well. When you take macro picture the top priority is to get the eyes pin sharp and the brain takes care of the rest of the body.

I would suggest the front of the car should be pin sharp, blurred wheels and background are not an essential as the brain will add the movement part - just being airborne or stones being kicked up from the wheels would be enough.
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X