Ice Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Hockey

I attended my first Ice Hockey game last weekend, and took along my camera so I spent most of my time watching the match through the view finder!
    Never having attended any sporting activities before I sought advice on this forum and received some useful tips, I also read various articles in the EOS magazine and online.
    Initially I intended to use my default 24-105mm lens due to the weight but on reflection of the allocated seating near the top thought it would be more prudent to take along the 100 - 400 despite the size and weight.
    Although I tried to plan in advance the settings and spares I might need I still failed; the one spare item it turned out I did need was my spare CF card which I had left at home..
    I took 700+ photos during the evening, some of which I am delighted to say you can even see that it was an Ice Hockey match!!

Here are a few for you, I am still very much learning photography and would appreciate any help.
    Rose

6O4A4912_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A4860_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A4853_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A4834_1 by Rose, on Flickr

6O4A4815_1 by Rose, on Flickr

Well done Rose, I think you've done excellently here. The colours are great, they're in focus, well done! I love the second and the third image.

Great action shot on the second one, and the 3rd you can really feel a sense of urgency with the player rushing back out onto the ice! Even the addition of the writing 'Fast - More than fast' to the right of the play adds to that feeling of, he's really eager to get back out there!

Well done, hope you had fun

Nathan

Comment

Only thing I might have done with that 3rd image is crop it from the left a little to get rid of the blue sign, putting the player on the edge of the frame, slight crop on the right to get rid of the 'S' at the end of Fast and maybe used the healing tool/brush to get rid of the email address.

If that makes sense? Be great to see it if you did that
      Last edited by NathCarr91; 21-10-2023, 14:17.

Comment

Nice set Rose
        700 shots did you sit and go through everyone - brave you if you did. I consider taking seven one to many.
        Last edited by Trev B; 21-10-2023, 15:18.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          Nice set Rose
          700 shots did you sit and go through everyone - brave you if you did. I consider taking seven one to many.
          Thanks Trev.
          Yes I did go through every pic; many of them were easy to delete being either out of focus or the players had moved out of shot!
          Due to the extreme speed of play I had my camera on high speed continuous, you would be surprised how far the players had moved between two frames. It is the only time I’ve used high speed continuous for a prolonged period. - I really wanted to try to capture some action.
          Rose

Comment

Great set Rose, you definitely caught the action.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice work...some fine images there....and you managed to include the puck in some!
              I know its tricky, I'm struggling to include the ball in under-12s football...I guess you have a similar challenge but it all happens faster on the ice!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                Nice work...some fine images there....and you managed to include the puck in some!
                I know its tricky, I'm struggling to include the ball in under-12s football...I guess you have a similar challenge but it all happens faster on the ice!
                Thank you Brian.
                I was truly amazed to see the puck in some of the photos. It was a challenge, especially not knowing the first thing about Ice Hockey​​​​​​!
                One article I read said that if you concentrated in where the puck was you would be too late for photographing; for Ice Hockey they suggested looking at for example the goal keeper who is highly trained to spot where the action is and as soon as they start to bend their knees switch focus to them as that is likely to be where the next action will be. That did seem to pan out, but they move at such speed!!!
                Rose

Comment

Sounds like you researched and prepared well and it paid off.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                    Sounds like you researched and prepared well and it paid off.
                    Thanks, but you should see the enormous pile of rejects!

Comment

Well done, the photos look great.
                      Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

I think you did a magnificent job on these Rose, so good to learn a new skill, that’s why I would never bother with a phone camera.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                          Only thing I might have done with that 3rd image is crop it from the left a little to get rid of the blue sign, putting the player on the edge of the frame, slight crop on the right to get rid of the 'S' at the end of Fast and maybe used the healing tool/brush to get rid of the email address.

If that makes sense? Be great to see it if you did that
                          Thanks Nathan, glad you like the pics.
                          I had not noticed the words on the third pic, I've had a go at the crop and removing the email address as suggested, here is the new image.
                          It certainly makes a difference, and adds an edge. Hope you like it.
                          Rose

6O4A4853 v2 by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

Well done Rose, an excellent set of pics. You did very good job in getting these as it's an extremely fast game and must a job to keep up with the action! You'll make a sports photographer yet!

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

[QUOTE=Lavenderhill;n757130]

Thanks Nathan, glad you like the pics.
                              I had not noticed the words on the third pic, I've had a go at the crop and removing the email address as suggested, here is the new image.
                              It certainly makes a difference, and adds an edge. Hope you like it.
                              Rose

That's excellent Rose, not saying the original wasn't, like I said, it was one of my favourites. However I LOVE this now.

I agree with what you say, it certainly adds an edge to the image, and it puts more emphasis on the player, making it seem like he's going out to win.

I just showed this to my partner and she said said, if she was that player, she'd love to see the image. And I agree, might be worth sending it to the club. They might have a club newsletter they might include it in, or pop it on their webpage. Plus I think the team and the player would love it. I know I would

Well done Rose! Can't wait to see more of your hockey pictures if you go again.
                              Last edited by NathCarr91; 22-10-2023, 20:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X