Technical help needed, images not sharp enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical help needed, images not sharp enough

I really hope somebody can help me. I use a Canon 7D for football matches and a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II EX lens. I'm still very much learning and its not a paid job but I'm not happy with the image quality i'm getting. I dont know whether its any of the following reasons but these are things ive thought about:
    1. Low light performance of lens
    2. Quality of lens
    3. compaitibility with the 7D
    4. Me not processing a RAW file correctly in CS5

I am thinking I should be using the Canon 70-200 as oposed to the Sigma. Would be grateful for any advice.

Example shots below

IMG_2719 by Bexman, on Flickr

IMG_2687 by Bexman, on Flickr
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Technical help needed, images not sharp enough

On first sight these look great to me!
    Yes there is some blurring of the moving elements - but static bits look sharp - hence my conclusion is that the lens is ok, shutter speed needs to be faster to freeze the action - shutter speed of 1/500th might do it, probably need a high ISO of 1000 or 1600

what settings did you use?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Images look fine,nice and sharp the white balance is right too, not sure why you think there not good enough.
      Shooting under floodlights is hard there is not enough light to get a fast shutter speed even at f2.8,When games are played during the night the floodlights at set at about 80% power,if however Cardiff are on sky sports the lights will be turned up to 100% power, this is about the only time the lighting will be at its best during a night match (it's all about saving money for the club)

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Images look good to me Mike.

Comment

Thanks guys. When I look in the match day programme and on the official website at the official photos mine just dont look as good to me but I'm glad you all think they're fine. I was tempted to go out and purchase a Canon lens, so at least you've put my mind at rest!

Really interesting to hear that Paul, I have noticed that they seem to be brighter when on Sky sports.

On that night I bumped the iso right up to around 1600 and that gave me decent shutter speeds of around 1/1000 most of the time. My other concern is whether I'm too far away for most of my shots, out of curiosity on crop sensor with a 200mm lens is there a maximum distance I should cover?

Thanks again all
          Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bexman View Post
            Thanks guys. When I look in the match day programme and on the official website at the official photos mine just dont look as good to me but I'm glad you all think they're fine. I was tempted to go out and purchase a Canon lens, so at least you've put my mind at rest!
            Depends what kit the 'official tog' is using ... might be a f2.8 300 or 400 L.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              Depends what kit the 'official tog' is using ... might be a f2.8 300 or 400 L.
              He uses a Nikon 400mm 2.8!
              Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

I am thinking I should be using the Canon 70-200 as oposed to the Sigma. Would be grateful for any advice.
                Peak resolution on the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is at f/5.6 but it is a good lens.
                The latest Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II has better resolution at all aperatures but may not be worth the extra investment as you seem to have a great sample of the Sigma.
                He uses a Nikon 400mm 2.8!
                There lies the answer, not the Nikon lens but the 400mm focal length.
                Try using a Sigma 1.4x APO EX DG Tele-converter Mk II to get a little closer to the action, it may help.

Comment

Hi Bexman
                  I use to use the canon 70-200mmL at matches but always had to crop the image,which i don't like to do.I prefer to fill the frame as much as poss.I moved up to the sigma 100-300mmf4 which i think is the ideal focal length for football/rugby and if light is good i can always add my 1.4x converter,I've just changed Lenses again sticking to sigma but went for the faster aperture 120-300mm f2.8 I'll be out this afternoon shooting and I'll hopefully post some images early next week.
                  Here's an image taken last weekend.

EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I was tempted to go out and purchase a Canon lens, so at least you've put my mind at rest!
                    You'd only need to upgrade to the canon 70-200 2.8 if you're not happy with these.
                    All the canon 70-200 2.8 s are at least about double the price.

When you get into talking about the absolutley ideal choices the costs get a bit scary unless you're earning a good living from your pics, or you're rich.
                    All things being equal, no 3rd party lens can match any of the canon 70-200 2.8L range for IQ. It's more of a question of which third party lens offers the best bang for your buck.

I went for the Tamrom and tried the sigma, they were both good value for the money.

Trev

Comment

Thanks guys I've got a very trusting friend who's loaned me a canon 70-200 2.8 IS for tomorrow's game and Wednesday's match, I can now do a full comparison.

Stephen and Trevor, thanks for the advice!

Paul that pic looks razor sharp and very good! That's what I'm hoping for, as Stephen has mentioned above maybe it's coming down physical length and maybe I should try a sigma 120-300 too. Thanks again, I always get great advice here and not shot down in flames or sarcastic replies.
                      Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

All look excellent to me bearing in mind the lens you are using and the the available light,,,so well done.
                        hhcanon

Comment

Thanks HHcanon

Here is one from today with a Canon 70-200 f2.8

IMG_2968 by Bexman, on Flickr
                          Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

There's no exif Bexman given the techncial nature of your question, it would be useful to see .
                            The light is better in the last one, are you saying this was taken with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                              There's no exif Bexman given the techncial nature of your question, it would be useful to see .
                              The light is better in the last one, are you saying this was taken with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS ?

Trev
                              That's correct Trev, it must be lacking exif because I have to lock down the pics on flickr due to club restrictions. I might be able to unlock a few for samples. On Wednesday night I'll take some night shots which should give us a better comparison in similar light
                              Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X