• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colourful Moth

More from Old Warden

Colourful Moth by M1RVW, on Flickr
    Ray

Re: Colourful Moth

A lovely shot, good composition, enough prop blur to make it work and you get a feeling you were up in the air to take the picture. Unfortunately, unless my screen has suddenly gone wrong, or the red arrows have recently passed and left their red smoke in the everywhere, you have a magenta colur cast that detracts from the image.

Correct that and you have one to be proud of.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging comment Colin.
      I do tend to struggle with colours as they are not my best subject. I tend to do things that suit my eye, but realise this is not always the correct method. So any help is welcomed.
      Attempt 2

Colourful Moth 2 by M1RVW, on Flickr
      Ray

Comment

you have a magenta colur cast that detracts from the image.
        Still there.
        A lovely capture of the moth , just need a background fix.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Doglet is your monitor calibrated? to me the second image is even more magenta than the first.

I think as Colin said you have a lovely image which IMHO is spoilt by the colour cast.

I hope you don't mind I copied your image and then using lightroom simply used the white balance eyedropper to select a cloud and clicked. The attached file is what I got which to me has a better colour balance.

My copy of the original image has been deleted from my PC and if you would like me to remove this post let me know.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all your input.I use a 27" Mac so not sure if it needs or requires calibrating. I thought that Mac's were pretty good? It is more than likely ME.
            Done another one hopefully this is better.

Colourful Moth 3 by M1RVW, on Flickr
            Ray

Comment

Much, much better. A bit of a cyan cast now, but much better than before. Look at Muscat's version and that's how it should be. If you don't have a natural ability with colours, look for whites and greys and do your best to get then looking right and you should be OK.

Similarly greens. Our eyes are adapted to notice much more colour variation in green than anything else, so if you can get the greens in a photo to look right, it inevitably follows that everything else in the shot is right. Often, its not the main subject that betrays a colour cast, but the background or surrounding objects.

Hope that helps.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X