Spitfire hanging in Kelvingrove Art Galleries, Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitfire hanging in Kelvingrove Art Galleries, Glasgow

This plane has always intrigued me since I saw it a few years ago. Just looking into the cockpit filled me with fear for the people flying it. Now it rests in Glasgow, where it was donated by RAF Leuchars in Fife In 1996.

spitfire by PaulStw, on Flickr

Taken with a Canon 600D, 50mm 1.8 @1.8 and 1/400th at ISO800.

Thanks for looking, Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Spitfire hanging in Kelvingrove Art Galleries, Glasgow

Nice exposure. Did you use any HDR processing on this image to even lighting?

Tom

Comment

I used Lightroom to just do some tonal effects, but nothing in photoshop.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nicely done

Tom

Comment

Very nicely done
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

It's a cracker. The only problem is that someone set the propeller with the blade pointing upwards, thus blocking out the cockpit. I won't hold that against it!
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I like that! The spot-on symmetry is very pleasing to the eye, and the 50mm focal length makes it look very natural. Is it a late Spitfire? I've not noticed one with a five bladed prop before, and it looks like it has 20mm cannons not the traditional brownings.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                I like that! The spot-on symmetry is very pleasing to the eye, and the 50mm focal length makes it look very natural. Is it a late Spitfire? I've not noticed one with a five bladed prop before, and it looks like it has 20mm cannons not the traditional brownings.
                Spitfire LA198 is a Mark 21 Spitfire built in 1944. It hangs from the ce​iling of the west court.

The plane was built with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine and a five bladed propeller. It flew with the 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron from between 1947–1949.

After a short service career, it was used as a ‘gate guardian’ at RAF Leuchars in Fife. In 1996 it was given to the city of Glasgow to act as a memorial to the men of 602 Squadron.

It was restored in a joint project between Glasgow Museums and the National Museums of Scotland.

Before being suspended from the ceiling in Kelvingrove, it was on display in the Museum of Transport.

Five teams of experts worked full-time on the Spitfire.

One team restored the aeroplane, while another manufactured the fittings for hanging it in the west court. Another team made the beam and fixed it in position.

A team designed the hanging system. And a group of lifting experts were responsible for raising the aircraft into its final position. ​
                I would not do it justice trying to answer that :) Here's the info..
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Excellent well exposed and toned shot. I think the prop is set just right as it adds to the symmetry

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X