Airshow photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airshow photography

I am hoping to go to the airshow at RAF Cosford on Sunday armed with a 70-300mm IS lens.
    I have never done this before, so I would appreciate any help from members on the way to go about capturing aircraft in flight, bearing in mind the forecast is for blue skies.
    Thanks in anticipation of some help.

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Airshow photography

I would also take the 17-40 for ground shots and inside the display hangers.

I normally meter off the grass and set Manual exposure ... checking every so often if the light changes. I also turn off the IS ... but others may not.

Take plenty of formatted and empty cards ;-)

But above all enjoy the event!

Comment

Thanks MX5. I was going to take the 17-40 for ground shots.

Ian
      EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Hi Ian,

You've picked one of the worst places to take your first show pictures. If there's a bright sun it'll be in your face for most of the day. Where to stand at Cosford is important because of the light - go for somewhere in the middle - definitely don't go to the right, as you look at the runway - the light will be crap right through the show! I found this out last year - I went with the LMA and we had an area near the VIP enclosure. They've changed the VIP area this year to the middle, so I believe. Unfortunately, I can't attend because I'm off to Canada to do the Hamilton Air Show the following week.

Camera/ lens settings - leave the IS on, is my advice. I do, even at high speed, even though it's probably not doing much. The 300mm on your lens should be okay, a little short but nothing to worry about. I'm not sure how good the noise levels are with the 600D, but I'd set the ISO to 400. If it's good go for ISO800 - that's what both my cameras are set to, even on very bright days - unless the f stop is flashing.

Shutter speeds - Jets - set to whatever you like really, depends how sharp you want your pictures and how much background blur you want - 1/1000 sec is good for a starter. If you're going to try and get a Red Arrows cross over then you want something around +1/2000 sec. Prop A/c - something like an early Mk Spitfire, Hurricane or Lancaster - 1/320 sec. Later Griffon powered Spitfire, for example (higher revving engine) 1/400 sec. Again it depends on how much prop blur you like to see. Me, I don't like to much.

I would also be using all the AF focusing points, too. Nothing much in the sky to distract the AF and with a fast moving object every little helps.

These are just a few quick thoughts from yours truly - anything else you want to know - let us know.

TTFN,
        Neil
        Last edited by Neilly; 05-06-2013, 11:09.
        Neilly's Flickr Page
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
        Facebook
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I would also be using all the AF focusing points, too. Nothing much in the sky to distract the AF and with a fast moving object every little helps.
          I never thought of that. Because I use the central point for birds in flight, that's what I use for aircraft, but your logic is so much better.

We all learn off each other on this site.
          Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

If I'm going for a close up and the DoF might effect the picture ie the AF points pick up the nose area and then the back end is in soft focus - then I'll use either centre point, or assisted CP and aim at the middle part of the fuselage. You have to be pretty damn close though - and I never back away

TTFN,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Good tips,
              I'm going to Waddington in July so I'm also reading with interest,Where's the best place to stand there!

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I hope this is of some help...

The following tutorial on air show photography was written by a guest contributor. Air Show Photography can be some of the most rewarding and challenging genres that any amateur photographer can undertake. The excitement of jets screaming past at 300 knots, the drone of an Allison engine, and the near hysteria of the crowds can […]

Keith

Comment

Great response to my request Neil. I hope I can remember it! Thanks a million.

Ian

Comment

Hi All,
                    Long time since i posted on forum, I totally agree with neilly about position of sun at cosford, went to throckmorton help for heroes yesterday (08/06) Sun right in front of us all through the display, had a great time though good to shoot some aircraft again.
                    Paul
                    Canon 5D, Canon 40D, Canon EF300/f4IS Lens, EF70-200/F4L Lens, EF24-105/f4L Lens

British by Birth, English by the grace of God.

Comment

Just wrote all of this down. Going to air show with family so want to at least try and look like I know what I'm doing.

I have a 70-300 usm on the way. (The devil made me click the "buy" button. :o/)

Brother will be begging use of my 55-250 so I'm just left wondering whether I should take my 28-105 my Canon compact or my non Canon bridge for everything else.

I've just been going through the plane shots writing down F numbers and speeds trying to work out what to do and how to do it and then here it is all in one place.

Thanks

Came back to ask a question. Would photos benefit from a CPL?
                      Last edited by DeeGee; 16-06-2013, 20:00.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X