Settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings.

I realise conditions dictate camera settings, but given blue skies or bright overcast, what would be the settings that you people have used for these stunning shots posted here? I have an EOS7D with a Canon 70-300IS LSeries lens and the sharpness never really satisfies me.
    Tony
    Harewood: EOS7D(1) with Canon 70-300IS(L); Canon 18-55IS; Canon EF100-400 (L) IS II

Re: Settings.

Are you talking about shooting Aircraft, if so could you post some on here via Flickr so we can see what the problem is.

Is you Camera a 7DMk1 or a 7DMk2?

Regards Paul

Comment

Your camera will always average the scene out to a midtone so if you are shooting against a bright sky then the camera will underexpose so depending how bright you will need to overexpose by between 1 and 2 stops

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks fellas. Reasonably happy with the lighting, nearly always use expo comp. It is the sharpness I struggle with. Usually shoot on AV setting on F8 and let the speed do its own thing.
        Harewood
        Harewood: EOS7D(1) with Canon 70-300IS(L); Canon 18-55IS; Canon EF100-400 (L) IS II

Comment

Originally posted by Harewood View Post
          Thanks fellas. Reasonably happy with the lighting, nearly always use expo comp. It is the sharpness I struggle with. Usually shoot on AV setting on F8 and let the speed do its own thing.
          Harewood
          I don't take photos of planes, but surly you need to be controlling the speed not the DoF so the camera on TV ??
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Jet aircraft need a shutter of 1/1000 + and prop aircraft depending on what you are shooting, 1/100 - 1/320 so that you get blur in the props to retain a sense of movement. In all cases a good panning technique is essential. Shoot Tv mode, AI servo, centre focus point with the focus assist points enabled

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Ok this one here

was taken at

Canon EOS-1D X
              Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III
              Shot at 400 mm
              Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/250 sec, f/9, ISO 100

This jet

was taken at

Canon EOS-1D X
              Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III
              Shot at 400 mm
              Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/320 sec, f/10, ISO 100

If you use this program and paste in the link from my images and other peoples, if they leave the data showing you will be able to read what setting they have used

for example Neils stunning 1st spit shot from

http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...Passin-Through!

was shot at

Canon EOS-1D X
              Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
              Shot at 700 mm
              Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/400 sec, f/13, ISO 200

I also tend to use centre weighted or spot metering as it's the aircraft I am after exposing correctly, the background is not as important. Note the recurring theme, all shot in shutter priority.
              Last edited by TonyT; 08-03-2016, 13:33.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Many thanks for making time and effort with your replies. Have switched to Shutter Priority and can see the difference. Was using AV following local advice.
                Harewood

Comment

Working...
                X