Duxford : Battle of Britain Show : Red Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duxford : Battle of Britain Show : Red Arrows

I finally managed to escape for the day on Saturday; and with the promise of a half-decent weather forecast, went to my one and only airshow for this year; Duxford's Battle of Britain show...

B****y forecasters are a waste-of-space! Billions of pounds worth of computer equipement, and they still haven't got a clue. My midday, just as the flying was due to start, it had pretty well clouded right over, and by early afternoon, ot was solid grey!!!!!

So; these are really posted as record shots out of sheer frustration...

First up Red Arrows; not helped by the fact that one of the machines went tech on the way down from Scampton, so 'Diamond 9' was missing some bling!

Hope you enjoy anyway...

Smoke ON!

Smoke ON -again!

And kiss...

And split...

A new manouver for 2010; 'Infinity'. Red-1 flys a figure of 8 on it's side around the main group...

We're off...

Hopefully I'll add a few more threads over the next few days...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Re: Duxford : Battle of Britain Show : Red Arrows

Nice set of images,,,I saw them in Blackpool and the sky was just as bad.

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Nice set I don't think they've had much luck this year as RIAT was wet and gray as well.

Comment

Brilliant pics...looking forward to more (settings/lens data would be helpful if poss)
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          Brilliant pics...looking forward to more (settings/lens data would be helpful if poss)
          Morning chaps...

Many thanks for your kind words... but I think we're all aware that these are not the best... I really only put them up out of sheer frustration!!!

Anyhow, Brian, EXIT data is intact; but essentially they were;
          40D, 100-400 mostly @ 400, ISO400, Aperture Priority @ f/5.6, EC +1, resulting in various speeds ranging from 1/1600 to 1/4000...

The light on the day was difficult to say the least..., so I opted to work with Av Priority knowing that it would generate a more than sufficient Tv. I tried a few f/8 tests, and Tv was too slow in a number of areas...

C'est la vie... I'll try & put up some more participants later today & tomorrow...

Cheers & beers...
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi C-F,

Great set, mate. Know what you mean about the weather - we had a great Saturday morning & that was it - Sunday was garbage! Look forward to more pics from Duxford. I think this is the first time for about 10 years I've not made at least one Duxford show.

TTFN,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Despite the weather you have done very well, the arrows are very clear and well exposed, particularly the close ups. In a couple the sky looks a bit magenta or was that how it was

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                In a couple the sky looks a bit magenta or was that how it was.
                Hi Stan;

It's the results of the amount of smoke they dump in the air during the display. They pump red, white or blue dye into diesel. Unless the wind is reasonably strong, it hangs around for an age; which sometimes causes problems.

Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                  Great set, mate... I think this is the first time for about 10 years I've not made at least one Duxford show...
                  Hi Neil;

Well I thank-you for the kind compliment; from the master no less!

A whole combination of work & other timing issues this year have kept me away from all the big shows. This was my one & only opportunity; so I was really miffed about the weather; moreso, since, as of the Friday night, it was supposed to be half-decent!

Cheers...

Comment

It's the results of the amount of smoke they dump in the air during the display. They pump red, white or blue dye into diesel. Unless the wind is reasonably strong, it hangs around for an age; which sometimes causes problems.
                    never thought of that

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Stan, glad you asked the question as I thought the same as you. But then I thought C-F will have a perfectly logical answer .... and he has...

David
                      David

Comment

Working...
                      X